Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Corrugated Piping

When connecting one piece of 4" corrugated piping with another piece using a coupling, is it standard practice by contractors to somehow use caulk or an adhesive to seal the coupling connection? Or, do most people just make the coupling connection, and just bury it?

Also, how do most people ensure that their corrugated pipe extensions for their gutter downspouts remain clear?

A few weeks ago, I had a silver maple tree cut down, and the maple seeds (aka helicopters) got into the gutters and were flushed out by the rain. But, they were at the end of the corrugated extension and due to the heavy rain, starting growing in the piping until I pulled it all out.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Underground Techie

Rewards Points: 75

Corrugated Piping

They make actual couplings you know. Cutting a piece of pipe to use as a coupling is a hack. Everyone I have ever worked for always "forgets" those things. As for end of the corrugated extension, you could maybe tie it into some other pipe, or put a piece of solid pvc on the end, which would be smoother and allow those helicopters to get out easier.

sevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #3

Corrugated Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevver View Post
They make actual couplings you know. Cutting a piece of pipe to use as a coupling is a hack. Everyone I have ever worked for always "forgets" those things. As for end of the corrugated extension, you could maybe tie it into some other pipe, or put a piece of solid pvc on the end, which would be smoother and allow those helicopters to get out easier.
Yes, I bought the 4" coupling. I just wondered if pros out there use some sort of caulk or adhesive to seal the coupling for solid corrugated piping (eg. not the type that has slits).
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #4

Corrugated Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Yes, I bought the 4" coupling. I just wondered if pros out there use some sort of caulk or adhesive to seal the coupling for solid corrugated piping (eg. not the type that has slits).
I highly doubt it.
raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Underground Techie

Corrugated Piping

Nope, if it was problematic for coming apart, I have duct taped them before just to keep it together, but no need to seal it. If it is easier for the water to go down the pipe, that is what it will do. Are you putting stone around it?
sevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #6

Corrugated Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevver View Post
Nope, if it was problematic for coming apart, I have duct taped them before just to keep it together, but no need to seal it. If it is easier for the water to go down the pipe, that is what it will do. Are you putting stone around it?
I don't believe I will be.

This corrugated pipe comes out of the ground and is fed by my sump discharge.

I'm putting in a dedicated discharge for my backup sump pump. Thus, I will Tee the existing corrugated pipe to make another inlet for the backup discharge.

I think everything is buried under dirt only. It's solid piping, so it's not meant for anything else besides being for discharge.