Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Correct Fence Install

I need to put up a new fence on my property. I am debating on either buying some home cheapo fence section or building my own. What is the best way to install the 4x4 posts. I have heard different things. One was to mix quickcrete and put the fence post in that, then I hear that the concrete will eat the post and I should only pour it into the hole, and set the pole on top of that. I've also heard that I should not use any concrete at all.

And Ideas?

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Correct Fence Install

8' pressure treated 4 X 4.....3'-4' deep into the hole depending on the fencing going up might get away with straight dirt fill in pounded down as you fill

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Correct Fence Install

Posts put in the ground without concrete will fail.
Dig the holes to required depth pour some gravel,put post in and fill hole with concrete set post in concrete but not all the way to gravel finish hole with concrete about 1 to 2 " below grade and cover with dirt.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #4

Correct Fence Install

Whatever you do, don't set the bottom of the post (the end grain) into concrete. Set the post at the right level using gravel, then backfill from there, tamping as you go. You can put dry mix in as backfill *around* the post. Concrete holds moisture and can hasten rot, even in pressure treat and cedar. Most of the pro fencing installers in this area don't bother with concrete. If your post is deep enough (which might be tough to do with the cheapo box store fencing), properly packed soil will be more than adequate to hold it straight and firm.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

Correct Fence Install

might want to tar the post 3' that goes into the hole,let them cure in the sun and that will add years to them.i did post and rail 20yrs ago and they are starting to rot at the ground and a little wobbly
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

Correct Fence Install

As a part of this thread, what is the recommended pneumatic nailer picket fastener? I'v been told 2" staple or 2" nails W/ rings?
mac44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Stairguy

Correct Fence Install

a properly tamped post will hold just fine, but again, it needs to be done right. Dont put a ton of dirt in the hole and tamp it at the top. It should be tamped at 4-6" intervals with a steel tamping rod...not a 2x4.

As for nail, I think ring nails hold well and is what most fence manufacturers use to hold on their pickets

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote