Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Stairguy

Share |

core aeration/overseeding

I know there are a lot of posts here about this topic and many have my head spinning on the actual procedure to follow. Here is my my plan, and maybe i can get some of my questions answered here.

I bought my house 2 years ago. The lawn is in decent shape. I have been fertilizing 4 times a year. I notice that after fertilizing doesnt seem to have much effect on my lawn. Ive decided it is time to aerate. I will do this in september. Is there a need to dethatch before I do this? I do not notice much thatch buildup and was thinking i dont need to do this.
I plan on doing a soil test to see if i need to add any nutrients to the lawn. Then I plan on overseeding. Do i need to rake in some new soil before seeding?

Also, I plan on setting up an irrigation system. Is this a DIY project? It seems quite easy. Has anyone done there own system before?

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
Ive decided it is time to aerate. I will do this in september. Is there a need to dethatch before I do this? I do not notice much thatch buildup and was thinking i dont need to do this.
I plan on doing a soil test to see if i need to add any nutrients to the lawn. Then I plan on overseeding. Do i need to rake in some new soil before seeding?

Also, I plan on setting up an irrigation system. Is this a DIY project? It seems quite easy. Has anyone done there own system before?
No need to dethatch if you don't see a thatch build-up. I'd just areate and overseed in the fall, once the weather starts to cool. I'd do late Sep-early Oct. You can DIY sprinklers, it isn't difficult. just takes time and careful planning

Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you are worried about the cores laying around, run over the lawn a day or so after coring with a mower with the spring-type dethacher wire blades to break them up and provide a place for the grass seed to "hide" and retain some moisture. - Done frequently on golf courses.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
DIY Hack

i like to leave the cores since the neighbor kids think it's doggy doo and stay off my lawn for a little while
Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Hello millertyme. Ken here in the Chicago area. When you do your soil test, also test
for pH. A low pH could be the reason your fertilizer isnít doing much. If thatís the case,
adding lime to the soil will raise the pH and your lawn will be off and running.
As far as new soil is concerned, rake it in after seeding to cover it up from the birds and
keep it moist. Use no more than ľ inch. Good luck.
hortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #6

I installed one myself in the first house we had and it isn't too bad a job but it does take quite a bit of work. The next two houses we've had us have them installed by professionals. What I've found is that because the professionals can buy the materials much cheaper and have all the required equipment (trencher etc.) I really didn't save that much doing it myself. I saved 30% at most and at least for me it wasn't worth the hassle. Not sure what the pricing of irrigation contractors is like in your area.

Also, assuming you have city sewage consider installing a second water meter. That way you will not have to pay sewage for the water you used for irrigation. You'll probably pay back the cost of the meter very quickly!
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
Millertyme (09-03-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Soft Low Country soil has made finding, restoring and soon extending the irrigation system here near Charleston, SC really quite easy. If you do take on the job yourself, CALL before you dig. and read up on it. Plenty of good books are there and you'll find that using the better grade of pvc and valves is well worth it. Hope you have a deep well as I hate paying for water. Also, the Orbit rotor sprinklers have been very reliable. Good luck.