DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Core Aeration, not much grass (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/core-aeration-not-much-grass-51218/)

joetab24 08-11-2009 05:34 AM

Manual Core Aerator
 
As I've previously mentioned. I am trying to improve my lawn.


So yesterday I purchased a manual core aerator. After inserting it into the soil, I am noticing that when I pull the aerator out the ground large sections of soil are coming up in addition to the plugs that are supposed to come out. Is this ok? What does this mean?

Thanks!

skipjack 08-11-2009 10:03 AM

Are you saying chunks of soil are sticking to the outside of the aerator tubes?

Perhaps the soil is too damp? Try giving it a little wiggle before you pull it out. Not too much as the idea of core aeration is to aerate without compacting the soil.

I've used the same aerator on my parent's lawn... it was a good sized yard so it was a lot of work (pun intended)... took me a few days to do the whole thing. My biggest problem was that the tubes kept clogging. But, I towards the end I had it down pretty well and could move quickly with sort of a hop-stomp motion.

Good luck.

drtbk4ever 08-11-2009 10:17 AM

Sorry, I don't have any ideas for you, but....

For $50 I rented a power core machine for half a day from HD. It took me longer to clean the machine than it did for me to do the coring.

handy man88 08-11-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joetab24 (Post 312908)
As I've previously mentioned. I am trying to improve my lawn.


So yesterday I purchased a manual core aerator. After inserting it into the soil, I am noticing that when I pull the aerator out the ground large sections of soil are coming up in addition to the plugs that are supposed to come out. Is this ok? What does this mean?

Thanks!

I have the same tool.

Large sections are not supposed to come out.

Only tube shaped dirt plugs are supposed to come out.

Wait until the ground is dryer, but not bone dry.

Are you aerating over sod or just dirt?

joetab24 08-11-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handy man88 (Post 313128)
I have the same tool.

Large sections are not supposed to come out.

Only tube shaped dirt plugs are supposed to come out.

Wait until the ground is dryer, but not bone dry.

Are you aerating over sod or just dirt?

Thanks for the reply,
I used the tool in my backyard, where there is considerable grass,and it woked fine. In my front, the problem area, there is very little grass and a lot of dirt is hard and compacted.

handy man88 08-11-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joetab24 (Post 313130)
Thanks for the reply,
I used the tool in my backyard, where there is considerable grass,and it woked fine. In my front, the problem area, there is very little grass and a lot of dirt is hard and compacted.

For that dirt area, I would just take an a mattock or use a good rake or garden fork or spade shovel to break up the soil. On bare dirt, there's nothing to hold the surrounding dirt in place if you're core aerating.

joetab24 08-11-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handy man88 (Post 313242)
For that dirt area, I would just take an a mattock or use a good rake or garden fork or spade shovel to break up the soil. On bare dirt, there's nothing to hold the surrounding dirt in place if you're core aerating.


So don't aerate with this tool in the front, which is mostly bare?

handy man88 08-12-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joetab24 (Post 313281)
So don't aerate with this tool in the front, which is mostly bare?

The purpose of aerating is to get water and oxygen and fertilizer to the grass roots and to reduce compaction. In bare dirt, there is no grass obviously, so no reason to aerate.

joetab24 08-18-2009 10:48 PM

Core Aeration, not much grass
 
I figured I'd start a new post, although this topic came up in my previous post.

I am planning on seeding my lawn soon. I have very little grass. Will core aerating help, or is it a waste of time if there is very little grass at this time?

The soil is fairly compacted.

drtbk4ever 08-18-2009 10:51 PM

If there isn't much grass left, I would skip the core aeration and till. Get some good soil in there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved