Controlling, Eliminating Weeds, Etc. In Desert Landscape - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Controlling, eliminating weeds, etc. in desert landscape

I am in Tucson AZ. My property about .65 acre was neglected for a few years before I owned it. The grounds are all desert dirt. There are many grass like patches low to the ground and other vegetation growing 2-3 ft high. I want to eliminate all this and start with clean desert dirt and then explore landscaping possibilities.
Just to improve appearance now I would like to rake, pull, dig up anything undesirable. Then in spring I would spray a preemerge and spot treat anything that comes back. Or should I leave what is growing and treat it in spring?

Advertisement

elmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaur View Post
I am in Tucson AZ. My property about .65 acre was neglected for a few years before I owned it. The grounds are all desert dirt. There are many grass like patches low to the ground and other vegetation growing 2-3 ft high. I want to eliminate all this and start with clean desert dirt and then explore landscaping possibilities.
Just to improve appearance now I would like to rake, pull, dig up anything undesirable. Then in spring I would spray a preemerge and spot treat anything that comes back. Or should I leave what is growing and treat it in spring?
Eliminate all of it now, cultivate and plant winter rye. A little water and 46-0-0 fertilizer will give a nice green winter cover crop while you are planning for next spring/summer. As late spring approaches turn it under for fertilizer and then do your desert landscape thing.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

BTW that's 0.65 acre. I am not sure I get the idea of planting winter rye. This is the front and back of my house. My idea is to keep a sparse appearance adding only a few more plants that can thrive in the Tucson desert climate and keep the dirt looking clean and well tended- something very common in the southwest. Existing plants I will keep are some palo verde trees, a mesquite tree, a saguaro cactus, barrel cactii, a couple ocotillos.
So I get rid of everything now that is a nuisance and ugly and then do I treat with preemerge in the spring and spot treat whatever weeds do come up? Or is there something I spray now?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4

I première in October/November and then again in march/April. Use generic roundup in the summer and diquat in the winter.
lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

I première in October/November and then again in march/April. Use generic roundup in the summer and diquat in the winter.

What is premiere?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

my browser fixed the spelling of premerge. Sorry I confused you.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Is it too late to use a preemerge now? and if so do
i use the diquat as a spot treatment or on the entire area i want to control?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

I'd go for it. heck, i waited until 2 weeks ago and i live in Phoenix. Paint your rock yellow with the premergent, wait a day for it to fade and spray everything living you don't want with diquat. Use color indicator so you know what you sprayed and you see what is popping up to make sure the premergent is working.

don't spray your entire yard with diquat, its way too expensive. Only use it for spot treatment or soaking trouble areas like under a gutter. Good luck.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to lendosky For This Useful Post:
elmaur (12-02-2013)