Is This Connection Correct? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is this connection correct?

My Contractor installed the drain-tile adapter inside the gutter downspout. Please see the picture.
Norman Nowling from Landscape Design and Property Development in Fort Myers, FL says: "The manner it's installed is correct. Think about the design; if you were to install the downspout inside the adapter, any debris falling downward (leaves, sticks, dirt etc) would be able to fall into the ADS pipe and clog it. That is why the gutter fits outside the adaptor. During a torrential downpour, no gutter system is able to keep up or accomodate the exessive run off. The volume of water coming down the gutters exceeds the rate the ADS pipe can dispurse the water through the tube and out the other end. However, it is still doing 90% of the work by routing the water away from your foundation, even in a heavy downpour. You will notice in a light, or normal rain the pipe doesn't have any run-off. I assure you there is no better alternative."
I think Norman is wrong and lying to me. What do you think?
The drain-tile ends further out in the yard with a pop-up fitting. The intention was to get the water away from the house and walk way. I can't find any other picture on the web with the down-spout is on the outside of the adapter. The gutter is always on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this connection correct?-gutter.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by PPellet; 07-13-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Clarification
PPellet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

I feel your correct and he's wrong, but it's nothing but a slip fit so either way if that tile is not installed correctly with enough slope, open to day light on the far end, not under water in a ditch where the water can not exit any over flow is still going to back up and flow out that fitting.

I never seal up that fitting, that way if the down spout plugs up it's simple to remove and clean out.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Such things are not allowed here or in most places I have lived in the first place because of the excess load draining to the street puts on the sewer system in heavy rains.

It looks from the water coming out like your problem is less with the fitting than it is with the drain pipe being clogged.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPellet View Post
My Contractor installed the drain-tile adapter inside the gutter downspout. Please see the picture.
Norman Nowling from Landscape Design and Property Development in Fort Myers, FL says: "The manner it's installed is correct. Think about the design; if you were to install the downspout inside the adapter, any debris falling downward (leaves, sticks, dirt etc) would be able to fall into the ADS pipe and clog it. That is why the gutter fits outside the adaptor. During a torrential downpour, no gutter system is able to keep up or accomodate the exessive run off. The volume of water coming down the gutters exceeds the rate the ADS pipe can dispurse the water through the tube and out the other end. However, it is still doing 90% of the work by routing the water away from your foundation, even in a heavy downpour. You will notice in a light, or normal rain the pipe doesn't have any run-off. I assure you there is no better alternative."
I think Norman is wrong and lying to me. What do you think?
That is NOT the correct way to install that - evidenced partly by the fact that it is NOT working properly!

The "adapter" should be on the OUTSIDE of the gutter downspout.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
PPellet (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

definitely wrong. i was a plumber in the ft myers area for 13 years.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
PPellet (07-13-2012)