Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Slab or Paver Pad

What are the pros and cons of a concrete slab patio v.s. a paver pad

Brentg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

although pavers can be attractive and fairly easy to install, they will need constant maintanence to keep them looking good. some of the problems with pavers are loss of sand,shifting, insect infestation, weeds, loss of aggregate, mold/mildew and staining. applying a good sealer can help slove some of these issues but now you will have to add maintaining the sealer to the list. concrete will have its problems too,such as cracking and staining. concrete can be colored with an integeral pigment added to the mix, color hardener, staining, acrylic overlays or chemical staining. i feel that stamped concrete is a better alternative to pavers and the colors and patterns are endless.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Drainage would be a pro vs. concrete. The pavers allow for drainage, while the concrete does not. From a distance concrete looks nice, especially if you get it stamped and colored, but pavers feel a little more "real".

Something else to consider. Pavers you can do yourself, but concrete would require hiring it out.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

If I had my choice, concrete would win hands down...and having stamped concrete would be my ultimate choice. I have two neighbors, one with a paver patio and one with a stamped concrete patio. For the reasons you mentioned, the paver patio is in pretty rough shape and needs to be maintained throughout it's life. Although it is a DIY project, it's also a pain in the butt with all the digging, leveling, grading, compacting, moving the materials, paver placing, etc. With stamped concrete, you just call up a company and they do all the work. Our neighbor got theirs colored and stamped, and I could have sworn it was pavers until they told me otherwise.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

Properly placed and pitched concrete should not hold water. Over time, pavers can retain water as the joints and the base harden and fill with silt. I've done pavers and stamp work for several years and have always prefered the look of stamped concrete. I would not recommend stamping as a DIY project.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote