Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Patio Remodel

Hello,

There is a concrete slab patio in my back yard that is poorly cracked and quite unsightly. It was damaged when the awning was removed last year after some terrible snows and I do not expect shifting to be a problem in the future as I have corrected most grading around the property. However, My wife and I simply do not like the look of a concrete patio and I see little point in reparing a crack in a fixture we don't like. Would it be possible for me to build a border around the slab, fill the inside with a thin layer of sand till it is level, and then install patio stones on top? Or would I be able to accomplish this same result with a different method? Are there any other options you would recommend? I am not adverse to some hard work, but I'm very new to working on outside projects, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

brm6685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #2

Concrete Patio Remodel

If the concrete is cracked, it should probably be removed- start fresh. On the hand, if you are committed to leaving the concrete in place then you could seal any cracks and install your patio on top. Keep in mind the height increase, especially if you have a door leading out onto the patio. Make sure the slab has enough pitch away from the house.

You can use a soldier course of pavers mortared or glued around the perimeter and the field set on a sand layer. Pavers come in different thicknesses- you could use a thicker paver for the border, and a thinner paver plus sand for the field.

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #3

Concrete Patio Remodel

I would have it taken out and start over. We had one removed by asking a concrete company that was doing work a few houses down. They cut us a good deal because they were there anyway and we could take the dirt fill from the addition they were digging for. Anyway, could have you a few hundred dollars. You can DIY with a jackhammer, but not sure if you want to go that route. Also, you have to think about disposal and who will haul it away.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Concrete Patio Remodel

Billy. Are you shilling for CW?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Professtional Remodeler

Concrete Patio Remodel

If the concrete is not in bad shape, you should consider concrete stamping which is an epoxy poured and designed stamped to a pattern of your choosing.
valueremodeling is offline   Reply With Quote