DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Concrete Patio Remodel

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  valueremodeling 
#1 ·
Hello,

There is a concrete slab patio in my back yard that is poorly cracked and quite unsightly. It was damaged when the awning was removed last year after some terrible snows and I do not expect shifting to be a problem in the future as I have corrected most grading around the property. However, My wife and I simply do not like the look of a concrete patio and I see little point in reparing a crack in a fixture we don't like. Would it be possible for me to build a border around the slab, fill the inside with a thin layer of sand till it is level, and then install patio stones on top? Or would I be able to accomplish this same result with a different method? Are there any other options you would recommend? I am not adverse to some hard work, but I'm very new to working on outside projects, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#2 ·
If the concrete is cracked, it should probably be removed- start fresh. On the hand, if you are committed to leaving the concrete in place then you could seal any cracks and install your patio on top. Keep in mind the height increase, especially if you have a door leading out onto the patio. Make sure the slab has enough pitch away from the house.

You can use a soldier course of pavers mortared or glued around the perimeter and the field set on a sand layer. Pavers come in different thicknesses- you could use a thicker paver for the border, and a thinner paver plus sand for the field.

#3 ·
I would have it taken out and start over. We had one removed by asking a concrete company that was doing work a few houses down. They cut us a good deal because they were there anyway and we could take the dirt fill from the addition they were digging for. Anyway, could have you a few hundred dollars. You can DIY with a jackhammer, but not sure if you want to go that route. Also, you have to think about disposal and who will haul it away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.