Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Concrete pad not level

I hired a contractor to pour a 16X16 concrete pad in my backyard that I am having someone else build a gazebo on top of. Prior to the builder coming in the slab will be finished by the same contractor with flagstone flooring and two natural stone walls (20" high) and one higher natural stone wall with a fireplace build in.
The problem is the contractor clearly rushed the patio, didn't properly brace the wood at the sides before pouring (leading to 3 inches of bowing at the middle of each side) and didn't level the slab by as much as 4 inches and over half was not smoothed out as he was in a rush to get finished as it started to rain. The patio was covered by a tarp when done.

I pointed out my concern about it being out of level and not smooth and he dismissed it saying he would level everything when installing the flagstone. He also said he would cut any bowing parts of the pad with a blade (the pad is over 10" thick so I have no idea how he is going to do this).

Should I be worried or is this fixable?
I should also point out I'm in southern Ontario.
rskaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Concrete pad not level

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like this is going to be very difficult to fix - without it being evident. If you can provide pictures it would help folks to comment.

Last edited by vsheetz; 09-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Concrete pad not level

Here are some pics.
I hope they are viewable as I had to meet the min pic requirements here.

I also read somewhere that if I pour another pad on top of this to level it out that I should have a minimum depth of 3". The other side would then end up around 8" in one corner. Is this advisable?
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Concrete pad not level

And this is the guy you are going to trust to complete the stone and fireplace, is that correct?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

Concrete pad not level

A stonemason is going to be doing the work with the natural stone but this guy was supposed to prepare the pad. Is it even possible to lay flag on top of this mess and make up the 4 plus inches from the other side or should I add another level of concrete?
Clearly, I errored in my choice of contractors but he talked a good game and I didn't just pick the cheapest.
Is this fixable or do I rent a jackhammer?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Tileguy

Concrete pad not level

My first inclination would be to have him remove his handy work in anticipation of him redoing it then after it is torn out and hauled away get someone else to do the next slab. Has he been paid?

A qualified stone guy could probably work with the rough slab if that's all there was wrong, but...

My concern would be freeze/thaw deterioration of anything that were to be added to the existing.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #7

Concrete pad not level

He's been paid 20% but he was to provide the stone for the walls.
Any thoughts to using a self leveling compound on top of the pad even the low side up a bit or should I just forget adding anything to it at all?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Concrete pad not level

This is really shoddy work. Is the stonemason affiliated with the contractor who did the concrete or independant where you might get a true opinion from him?

I would be very concerned of the long term - structural or cosmetic problems that come up down the road even if it can be made to be look ok initially.

A foundation slab this size is not rocket science - he should have been able to do it right.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
DIY staff

Concrete pad not level

There is a thread on a subject very similar to this over at Contractor talk---about a week ago in the tile section---(link at the bottom of the page---)

The setter used Deck mud "Mud" What Is It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

Then waterproofed the top (and sides in your case) before installing the tile.

It's late--I'll try to find the thread tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #10

Concrete pad not level

Is he going to correct the job and finish it?

THe surface needs to be brought to level, probably by pouring another layer of concrete with a minimum thickness of one inch which may mean a maximum thickness of four or five inches in other spots.

The dimnensions of the origianal slab should be cut to shape before pouring the next layer. You do not want to saw through the one inch top layer after it is in place since that can cause cracking.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

Concrete pad not level

He's going to be back on Tuesday.
At least now I have some good info so I'll update after we speak.

thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #12

Concrete pad not level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
My first inclination would be to have him remove his handy work in anticipation of him redoing it then after it is torn out and hauled away get someone else to do the next slab. Has he been paid?

A qualified stone guy could probably work with the rough slab if that's all there was wrong, but...

My concern would be freeze/thaw deterioration of anything that were to be added to the existing.
Probably one of the poorest looking concrete slabs I've ever seen! There's no excuse an all for workmanship that poor from someone who is getting paid to do it. I'd certainly have him tear it out in refund what you've paid him.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
29 YR BUSINESS TECH

Concrete pad not level

That has to be the sorriest looking slab Ive ever seen, and Ive seen alot. Due to tile going on top, finish
really makes little difference, But it is so far off level. Im thinking they ran out of concrete, and didnt bother
dragging what they had over to at least keep the slab level. Hard to believe a actual concrete man did this, the tile
man probably will have to bring in the tile mud by truck.
Phoneman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #14

Concrete pad not level

It is hard to level the surface and lay the flagstones at the same time using the mud. The individual flagstones will be tilting.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #15

Concrete pad not level

OP - any update? Interested to see how this plays out. I would be very upset to pay for this low level of workmanship.