Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

compact burgundy shrub that doesn't lose its leaves in winter

I see alot of compact burgundy colored shrubs mixed in with green shrubs in landscaping. Are there any compact burgundy/reddish/plum colored shrubs that don't lose their leaves in the winter?
Thanks
Nashville, TN

joshoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

What you are seeing is most likely red barberry. I do not know of any red evergreen.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Nandina-
Not the tall ones with red berries that get leggy when not maintained.
'Firepower' is a nice compact red. Also 'Gulf Stream', 'Plum Passion', 'Woods Dwarf'.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

I think Firepower Nandina is what I have now, in the middle tier of a 'three-tier' shrub bed in front of the house. They stay mostly light green with just a hint of red in spots. They look kind of like that kind of apple that is both green and red at the same time (mostly green).

What about Ruby Loropetalum? I came across that on the internet, and it said it was 'evergreen'.

I'm confused about why anyone would put Barberry in their shrub bed. I read barberry spreads with undergound rhizomes and takes over a bed quickly?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
What you are seeing is most likely red barberry. I do not know of any red evergreen.

Wouldn't that be an everred?
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
Wouldn't that be an everred?

I suppose that would be right.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
What about Ruby Loropetalum?
You said you were looking for compact shrubs. L. gets a good 6-8 feet high. Not what I call compact. But they are everred.

As for barberry, I have never had a problem with them spreading. But I lovingly refer to them as "trash catchers." If you put one anywhere near a roadway, it will catch anything that blows by with those thorns.

Last edited by downunder; 09-22-2009 at 06:50 PM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #8

barberry will spread. not too much of a problem in a maintained bed but can be a huge issue if not kept under check. One of those things that pushes out native plants. I hate it, it hurts. when we first moved into our house my ex's boss gave him stuff for our landscaping. I asked him if his boss hated him, he didn't get it until i pointed out he gave him all plants that bite: barberry, juniper and american holly... ouch. I left that bed for him to maintain!
erikamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

I have had red barberry bushes(3) in my front bed for 10 years and they have never spread. They need trimmed every year as in shearing with hedge trimmers but as far as spreading, no problem. Maybe I am misunderstanding the term spread.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #10

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/eppc/barberry.html

just one of the sites describing the invasiveness of barberry. like i said probably not something that would be noticed in a maintained bed that is routinely mulched and weeded.
erikamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
I read barberry spreads with undergound rhizomes and takes over a bed quickly?
I'm with Chrisn on this one based on my experience (versus having read) with them in beds that quite often have been neglected and definitely not "maintained ... routinely mulched and weeded." Well maybe a few weeds and crabgrass got pulled. Let me emphasize that I am not against reading about something at all. I'm just giving what my experience has been.

But I think this digresses from the original question regarding "burgundy/reddish/plum colored shrubs that don't lose their leaves in the winter?" Since barberries do that, the point here really is moot.

Quote:
I see alot of compact burgundy colored shrubs mixed in with green shrubs in landscaping.
Maybe the first question to have been posed should have been, have you asked people what those particular shrubs were? Most, if not all property owners and managers consider it a compliment if someone notices and stops to ask questions. I know I do.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #12

Regarding Loropetalums, I have found "Purple Pixie" that I think grow to 2 feet high, and Monrovia's website says "Suzanne" grows to 3-4 feet high, so maybe I will use one of those two, probably Purple Pixie?

Now, for the green shrubs to go behind the purple shrubs, I'd like some that have light green or bright green leaves (I think dark green shrubs are unattractive and boring and don't "pop"), and I'd like them to grow to only 3-4 feet tall. Any suggestions on this?

By the way, Monrovia's website says the 'Densa' Inkberry Hollies I currently have grow to 8-10 feet high! If that's true they are not right for a shrub bed.

I plan to re-do my shrub bed and take out what's there and put in a two row bed, with the back row being green and the front row being purple/burgandy. To let you know what is there currently, the back row is the Inkberries, and the middle row is Nandinas (that are green not purple) and the front row is some kind of ground crawler green spongy kind of thing that needs to come out. I'm not sure if the bed really has room for 3 rows, and the ground crawlers I can do without.

Thanks

Last edited by joshoc; 09-23-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Don't know it all, yet!

Sorry I haven't been back in a few days. As far as your assessment that dark green is boring and doesn't pop, consider them as the backdrop for the brighter front ones. The contrast will show off the front ones even more. May I suggest some variegated yellows/chartruese or whites to go with those reds? By the way, it is a common practice to use a dark evergreen background for just this purpose. You may not like this look, and it's your yard so whatever you like is what is right.

Those lower lorepetalums are new to me. I'll have to check on those. Thanks for teaching me something new.