Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Coarse sand or limestone dust for laying travertine patio pavers?

I saw a post last week here about using play sand for setting pavers for a patio and got me thinking about my own project.

I will be laying travertine pavers that range in size from 8x8 to 18x24.

I am using tons of 2A modified (3/4 and limestone dust) for the base.

For the final screed and lay, what is better coarse sand or limestone dust? They will butt up against each other so there will be near zero gap. The final screed will be max of 3/4 of an inch.
BrandonC_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
DIY-er

The best sand by far is polymeric jointing sand. It is 3-4 times more expensive than regular jointing sand, but well worth it. It contains a polymer that binds together when wet. After you brush it between the pavers, soak it with water for the sand to set.

Best sand to prevent weed growth between pavers, nothing else compares. If you use anything else, you will get weeds between the cracks unless you are living in the desert.

Kevin
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Sorry I should have mentioned I was using polymeric for the joints. I am more referring to what you use as the leveling base for the pavers limestone dust or coarse sand? I didn't know if one compacted better or held water or drained better or was easier to use and screed, etc.
BrandonC_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
DIY-er

Sand is much better as a levelling base, as limestone screening has large enough stones to make levelling a hassle. A 1/2 inch max. depth of sand on top of a compacted base (aggregate, concrete, HPB or other) should be used.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote