Climbing Vine Suggestions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Climbing Vine Suggestions

Just built this lattice/pergola combination to cover a blank white wall on our garage. I had originally thought I would just plant English Ivy, as I love the look, but I am open to other ideas, maybe something with color.

Also, would you paint the pergola section white or black? Thanks!

Advertisement

smokey847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Something like flowering clematis (big dramatic leaves and flowers) or bougenvila should do well where you are. Star Jasmine or non-invasive honeysuckle could be pleasant but a bit more understated. The fragrance can be overpowering to some. Not my thing but a climbing variety of rose?

I happen to like wisteria but it can get away from you quickly and end up crushing a structure like that.

Ivy is fine if you like it but pick a variety that will not attach to your siding and get up under it.

Maybe some combination of ivy and a flowering vine?

I would hit the libary for some books on climbing vines. See what you like.

Not sure about what color solid stain to hit the structure with. White white is awfully unforgiving and will make your house siding look dirty. Black seems awfully stark. You can tint something like Sherwin Williams Woodscapes to any color so you could match the siding I guess. I think some wood tone might be nice since hopefully the vines will grow to cover most anyhow.

If that is treated lumber, you may have to wait 6-12 months before trying to solid stain, or prime and paint it anyhow.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Morning Glory? Just make sure you control it.....

Otherwise go with SD's suggestions....

But....I would clean up and paint the underside of your eaves before it grows too much.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 592

Once you get vines started and it grows it will be hard to reprint it.
I recommend staining it. You could do a dark stain to match the lattice
work.

Firstly, as far as vines, I'm with SD on clamatis.You look like
you're in full sun and clamatis loves full sun.

Here's a shot of our clamatis going up a pole.
Isn't it pretty!

BTW...your lattice pergola is gorgeous.
Attached Thumbnails
Climbing Vine Suggestions-image.jpg  

Last edited by Two Knots; 05-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen. We already have two instances of a Clamatis vine growing in our lawn--beautiful!--but I've been doing some research and find the Cecile Brunner climbing rose bush to be beautiful. I, however, cannot find much information on whether or not it will thrive here in Zone 6. Also, I wonder how it (or another flowering vine) would fair combined with an English or Boston Ivy.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #6

Also, I know not a lot can be told about it, but this was a climbing bush of sorts I noticed at a mall while in Destin this spring. Any guesses as to what it is? It was woody and growing via a wire-type structure attached to the mason columns.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

the CB rose is a wonderful choice, I looked it up on Amazon, it said it is hardy
to zone 4...
Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #8

Interesting how different species behave differently in different zones. Here, the Morning Glory needs to be coaxed into producing

a significant canopy by the first killing frost. And the seeds sure don't winter over.

But goldenrod and purple loosestrife, pose a very serious threat to our wetlands. Their taproot systems are extremely invasive,
and yet I've seen magazines and books where goldenrod is intentionally planted in a garden
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Where I lived in N California I was about 45 minutes from San Francisco but this was enough that while things like most species of ficus trees would grow outside in SF, we were just enough drier and prone to frost a bit inland they would not where I was. I grew cymbidium orchids with great success but that was about the only type I could make bloom and I did not have a greenhouse. One of the major growers and breeders of orchids in the US is right on the coast just outside of SF.

As for invasive species. Kudzo is one shining example of things gone bad. It does not seem to grow out of control in Asia. Planted extensively here in the South and literally crept North at the rate of sometimes 8' per day. Among other things, it has pretty flowers and was going to be a major food source for livestock. It is a popular thickening agent in Asian cooking for its starch content but one does not need a truckload per year to cook with.

Some species of honeysuckle, non-native, got away from Midwestern gardeners so some species of it are banned.

There is something to be said for planting plants native to the local environment or at least knowing what will happen with foreign imports.

Thought of another possibility for that lattice structure. You could train and espalier a fruting species or just a flowering species of something like an apple or cherry. Lots of pruning each year and it is sort of a cruel thing to do to a plant I guess.

It reminds me of the pigeons in Philadelphia with melted nubs for feet from the transit train lines. I figure if the "rats with wings" are dumb enough to keep perching on them they deserve what they get though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

A couple of clematis vines would work well there. They are easy to cut back every year and they don't attach themselves to your house like ivy and are not agressive like wisteria.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #11

I love the CB rose idea. It would be lush and full and fragrant.

We have a lot of big oaks in and around our property, thus not enough
sun for roses to do well, so the head knot plants roses in big pots and moves them round to follow the sun. He would love your spot for a climbing rose
bush.

Advertisement