Cleaning Sand From Lawn Sprinkler Nozzles - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cleaning sand from lawn sprinkler nozzles

I bought an old utility pump from a retiring landscaper last year, and have been using it to pump water from the river behind my house to water my back yard/field (this is part of the continuing recovery from Hurricane Irene, which filled my field with sand piles, some 8-feet high).

In any case, we've had rains recently, and all of my sprinklers stopped working. After checking the pump, which is blasting water (it's a 3.5 HP unit), we finally figured out that there is sand and grit in the water lines, which clogged up the sprinklers. Before the rains, the pump was feeding all of the 10 sprinklers I have connected to the pump without a hitch.

I'm using $15 rotary stake sprinklers, which water about a 50' to 80' feet diameter each. Links to them are below:

http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-15064-Co.../dp/B001P80H5E

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...=0CGkQ8wIwAzgK

I'm going to drain the 2" dia. truck lines that come from the pump, as well as the hoses and other connection pieces - that part is easy.

I'm also going to put more filtration on the input hose that comes from the river.

My question is, how do I best get the sand and grit out of the sprinklers?

I can't change to clean well water, by the way. My well pump can't provide enough water to water my field.

Advertisement

Last edited by Arnold Ziffel; 06-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Arnold Ziffel is offline   Reply With Quote