Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

New home now into its 3rd Summer. Very heavy clay with a thin coating of soil in the front, and clay in the back. After scalping, raking up all the hay, earating, power seeding, etc.. the lawn looks good, front and back with no bare patches and pretty thick. However, I have some questions. With a heavy clay soil, no water really penetrates down, and the root system of the grass is pretty short, and as a result I keep the grass high to maintain moisture, other than my Scott fertilizer products, and Immunox for the occasional lawn disease, anything else I can do to help keep my lawn a lawn? Lime maybe in the fall?

thanks

mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

You could core aerate and then broadcast soil amendment over it. Takes a lot of work. I would have a soil analysis done before adding lime; you need to know how much lime to add and the soil analysis will tell you that as well as the levels of other nutrients and how much you'll need to add. It will be a multi-year project to get it where you'll be happy I'm betting.
See:
http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=858
http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=954
HIs info is usually pretty solid.
Best of luck!

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

Hey,
I have the exact same situation. Wishing to death that I could have prepped the soil better before starting the lawn as it saves a TON of work....but life didn't work out that way. So now I recommend you do what I'm doing....

for the next handful of years....
spring -aerate and add layer of compost..I use leaf mulch
fall - aerate, compost layer, overseed
once or twice a year...throw some gypsum down

After a handful of years...you can probably skip the spring aerate/compost...but keep doing the fall treatment...forever...

BTW...due to the conditions I have pretty bad red thread...mostly cuz when it rains..the water just has nowhere to go...so keep on the fungicide ...as preventative even if you don't see problems...for a few years.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

It does take a lot of work.

The secret is worms, let them do the work for you. They aerate, fertilize, and improve your soil. Think of it like that, you feed the worms, they do the rest. Excellent advice about using compost = food for worms. I use a mixture of compost, manure, and rabbit feed. The problem with just compost is grass needs a lot of nitrogen, hence the rabbit feed. That makes the worms are happy, the grass is happy, your dirt will become happy. It doesn't happen overnight, but if you started 3 years ago you'd really start to see things improving as once the worms are happy and fed they breed faster & faster and you start to see bigger and bigger improvements.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
It does take a lot of work.

The secret is worms, let them do the work for you. They aerate, fertilize, and improve your soil. Think of it like that, you feed the worms, they do the rest. Excellent advice about using compost = food for worms. I use a mixture of compost, manure, and rabbit feed. The problem with just compost is grass needs a lot of nitrogen, hence the rabbit feed. That makes the worms are happy, the grass is happy, your dirt will become happy. It doesn't happen overnight, but if you started 3 years ago you'd really start to see things improving as once the worms are happy and fed they breed faster & faster and you start to see bigger and bigger improvements.
I'd have to agree on the worms....I'm same exact situation as the OP....I have the hardest, crappiest clay base I've ever seen in my life....but I've been addressing as I noted above. Lawn planted in Spring 2008...so also into my third season. Every time I dig to expand a planting bed or whatever...I'm amazed at how many worms I encounter. And I try to preserve every last one. Eat boys...eat....
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 822

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahjohn View Post
New home now into its 3rd Summer. Very heavy clay with a thin coating of soil in the front, and clay in the back. After scalping, raking up all the hay, earating, power seeding, etc.. the lawn looks good, front and back with no bare patches and pretty thick. However, I have some questions. With a heavy clay soil, no water really penetrates down, and the root system of the grass is pretty short, and as a result I keep the grass high to maintain moisture, other than my Scott fertilizer products, and Immunox for the occasional lawn disease, anything else I can do to help keep my lawn a lawn? Lime maybe in the fall?

thanks
to clairfy, your yard is completely filled with a dirt thats high in ratio of clay?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Clay Soil Vs. Grass

I would aerate and then add compost over the grass in the spring and fall.

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote