Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

chipmunks eating bulbs???

Im seeing tunnels in my bulb gardens and a decline in flowers....Ive only seen a couple of chipmunks but also noticed the ground within a 5ft radius is soft...this isnt due to poor drainage...question is are these problems caused by chipmunks or something else.....holes are the size of a mans thumb thank you

doctordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

I think its moles or voles. I can't remember which one digs tunnels feeding on grubs and worms and the other digs tunnels and feeds on bulbs and plant roots. Both are a mouse like creature. You will see mounding of displaced earth every so often along their tunnel line.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I think its moles or voles. I can't remember which one digs tunnels feeding on grubs and worms and the other digs tunnels and feeds on bulbs and plant roots. Both are a mouse like creature. You will see mounding of displaced earth every so often along their tunnel line.
My guess too and the size of the portals you describe would be consistent with them.

I haven't seen a chipmunk since I left the Pacific Coast and don't think I ever saw one in my yards. I don't remember them as being critters that borrowed to go after roots, bulbs and things. Of course in Central Illinois the overpopulated and dumb as rocks squirrels would dig up anything for no particular reason. Groundhogs were a problem too and they would certainly build an underground system 5 feet in diameter in a heartbeat. They wouldn't fit through the portals you mention though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #4

I read an article in which a woman said she wraps her bulbs loosely in 1/4" hardware cloth before planting them. The bulbs grow through the hardware cloth as a volunteer tree will grow through a chain link fence, and it keeps the critters from eating the bulbs. I haven't tested this, but it sounds like a solid idea. I'd recommend using stainless hardware cloth, since it's going to be kept in a damp place (underground).
whammytap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whammytap For This Useful Post:
doctordog (05-16-2011)