Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Share |

Chain saw

I've got a McCulloch 35cc, MS1635 chain saw that I just use once in awhile for yard clean up.
I took it out the other day to cut down a branch, and once started the chain would not stop spinning. There was no "neutral" setting, once cranked over it would spin, and when triggered would spin faster, then stall out.
I looked thru the manual and there is no troubleshooting guide.
What adjustment needs to be made.
Thanks
Barry

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
the Musigician

Chain saw

sounds to me like it needs a good cleaning, Barry.
i'd clean the air filter, then i'd grab a compressor and spray it out.

DM

Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Chain saw

Check the idle, too. It should be turned down until the chain stops turning but the motor keeps running.

Maybe some debris in the throttle trigger assembly prevnting the throttle from releasing.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Chain saw

If the chain is turning at idle, it is the idle speed and/or idle mixture that need adjustment.

Crank it and let it run a couple of minutes to operating temperature. Look in the owner's manual to see which is low speed adjusting screw and which is the high speed adj screw. Your saw may be marked which is which. Also locate the idle speed screw.

Note:
The idle speed functions like having your finger on the throttle.
The low speed mixture will affect the speed as a secondary result.
High speed mixture is similar but affects the (as the name implies) high speed power.
Running rich gives power and lower rpm. Lean gives faster speed but less power. Have you ever noticed that just as you run out of fuel the rpms increase significantly for about 1 second?

Some people start with 2 turns out on each screw. Or, go from where your saw is set now.
With the engine running, turn the idle speed screw out to slow down the rpm so that the chain is not turning. Then turn the low mixure screw in until it starts increasing in speed. Too much and it will get fast but starving and skipping. Turn back out to richen the mixture. The speed will slow back down and at some point will not slow down any more. This will be about one full turn from where you started back out. Too far and it will begin to choke. You should end up midway between rich and lean, with the fastest, smoothest idle.

Re-check the idle speed that the chain is not turning. I set mine as slow as it will idle smoothly.

Final check- from idle, snap the throttle open quickly. The saw should rev up smoothly. If it coughs or hesitates, you are too lean. Open the mixture just a little and try again.

Holding the throttle wide open, do the same with the high speed mixture screw. In until it starts increasing speed and screaming. Then back out until it starts growling. Back in just until it quits growling. Remember, the high speed is where you do your cutting. Richer gives you power, but too rich smokes excessively, uses more fuel, fouls the plug and valves. You should end up with maximum power and cleanest, most efficient setting.

And, don't forget to clean the filter as mentioned in first reply and use fresh gas.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Chain saw

Excellent post there, Downunder.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

Chain saw

Thanks for the long and extensive post. I think this will help everyone out, regardless of the make and model.
AnthonyStanley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Chain saw

thank you,
thank you very much!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #8

Chain saw

I don't have a McCulloch chain saw, all mine are Huskies. So, I don't know if this applies.
It may be possible that the clutch is worn out, or has got some debris inside preventing it from working.
And my thanks also to downunder for the great post.

cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote