Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Chain Saw

I hope I am in the correct forum?
I have a Poulan Pro 20" chain saw. Model PP295. Version "3". 46cc. Ser. # 02071D300274-3.

Poulan says that I cannot adjust the carburetor myself, that it must be done by a certified service center due to EPA rules. I know this is bunk. Is anyone familiar with adjusting this carburetor? Or does anyone know of a web site for helping individuals with small engine repair. Any feedback would be great. I am a member at the electrical forum and thought this may be a good place to start. I can't see paying someone to turn a screw 1/4 turn.
Thanks a bunch........John

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Chain Saw

All I know about adjustment is mine has an H screw and an L screw plus an third screw labeled something else and it is the idle adjust.

I go to the chainsaw section of arborsite for all my chainsaw questions.
http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Might I suggest to also post why you think your carb needs adjusting. What symptoms are you experiencing, etc. Those guys will ask you anyway before they tell you to go turn some screws.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Chain Saw

Quote:
There is usually two adjustments to make, a low speed and a high speed.
No, there are three.

Quote:
Might I suggest to also post why you think your carb needs adjusting.
Excellent suggestion!

But, while I'm here:
Adjust the idle speed to close to what it needs to be.
Adjust the low speed mixture. This effects the idle speed but it is not the same thing.
Re-adjust the idle speed.
Adjust the high speed mixture.
Final check on the idle speed.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #4

Chain Saw

I have had two Poulan chain saws for a number of years and never had to adjust the idle or mixture adjustments. I think this would be a last ditch effort. I would try changing the spark plug and clean up the air filter first. Is it possible some dirt etc. has entered the fuel tank and is restricting the fuel line. If the fuel mixture is off and is corrected there should be no need to adjust the idle speed, as it was set in the proper place before. Another thought, is your fuel-oil mixture correct for the engine?
Chatter is offline   Reply With Quote