DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Chain link fences, one on top of another question

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  notmrjohn 
#1 ·
My house has a chain link fence in the backyard which I have to have (not exactly chain link) but fencing because of my pool. But what it looks like they did to make it code was install a 4 ft fence on top of the 3 ft fence. They arent connected any way at all and im not sure how to connect them because they are both loose in the middle of the fences.

Any ideas everyone?

If this is in the wrong place please move it. Placed it here because its part of the landscaping of my yard IMO.

#3 ·
how tall are the posts? If it is loose between the 2 fences I would not think that would meet code. Best to start all over and do it right not only for safety but piece of mind. I would think that any insurance company would frown on such a half a$$ed fencing job.

Reactions: gregzoll
#4 · (Edited)

How whoever mended the fences together did it. This is something to get me by until next summer when I plan to rebuild the fence. It is just this side that was done this way.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My neighbors attempt at fixing the fence before I bought the house. As you can see they welded the original pipe together and added the additional section to it.

A closeup for you all

#5 ·
Take and undo the bottom & top and hook at the other opposite of it. That means the one on the bottom section top left, would now hook to the bottom right hook. Think outside of the box. Not hard, nor simple, but if you have a couple of days or weekends, you can get all sections done.

Or just go get a 1000' spool of steel wire that is used to run through fencing sections, to help stable them, when they have high sections, and use that to just run through the eyes at the top & bottom of the sections.

#6 ·
Both of greczoll's ideas are good, rehooking requires a couple of pair of good pliers, strong, untiring hands and time. I dunno if I'd wanta deal with a 1000' of wire while sewing the fences together, shorter rolls would be easier to handle, a small enough roll might pass through the diamonds too. And you'd wanta 'sew' it in and out not twist small lengths together at the top and bottom of adjoining diamonds. That'd take forever and really tire out your hands. When I wanta twist wire together in such situations I use 6" rebar ties and the tool made to twist them together. In fact I use them to fasten chain link to the pipes instead of that wire sold for the purpose.
The ties are 6" (duh) lengths of wire with a loop on each end, the tool,a "manual bar tie twister" is a hook sticking out of a straight handle. You bend the wire around untill the loops are close to each other, put the hook thru both loops, and spin the tool with a cranking motion which twists the wires together. quick and easy and really twists um tite, in fact with that lil tool you can actually over titen and break the wire. 6" may be too long to tie corner to corner but you could skip over the very top of the top diamond of the lower fence to the top of the secound one down from the top of the lower fence , just twist tite enough to hold it together. Or you could fasten the bottom of the top to the second from the bottom of the... uhmmm I seem to have gotten my self turned upside down, or at least secound from the down. N E way It's an easy way to tie things together with wire. The ties are around 12 bucks, don't remember how many but its a fistful, see if they meet your budget, the tool is 5 or 6. They'll be in the concrete masonry section of your local big box, right next to the rebar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.