Cement Filled Chain Link Fence Posts - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cement filled chain link fence posts

I installed a batting cage that came with ground sleeves for 1 5/8 16 gauge fence post. The installation went fine but I live in West Texas where the winds get very strong and during our first strong wind storm (40-50 mph) the posts buckled mostly just above the ground sleeves. Since the ground sleeves are cemented in place and can only take the diameter mentioned above, my question is can I fill galvanized fence posts with cement to make them sturdy and withstand the strong winds?

Advertisement

johnrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,044

It seems to me that a post "only" 1-5/8" in diameter is marginal to begin with so I am not sure whether filling them with concrete will completely solve the problem.

You would get some added strength by filling them with concrete.

Part of the added stiffness comes because in order to be bent or pushed over they must get squashed or they must crack like an egg. The concrete filling prevents squashing and the steel post itself is quite resistant to cracking like an egg.

Can you use a mesh with larger holes, say 2-1/2 inches (less wind resistance as well as lighter weight)? Can you get posts with thicker gauge metal and that still fit?

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-06-2011 at 02:05 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrdz View Post
I installed a batting cage that came with ground sleeves for 1 5/8 16 gauge fence post. The installation went fine but I live in West Texas where the winds get very strong and during our first strong wind storm (40-50 mph) the posts buckled mostly just above the ground sleeves. Since the ground sleeves are cemented in place and can only take the diameter mentioned above, my question is can I fill galvanized fence posts with cement to make them sturdy and withstand the strong winds?
Yes you certainly can. Pick up a bag or two of "quikrete", mix it wet, pour it in using a funnel, and you can even add a small diameter rebar (like 3/8") for added measure. At some point though, the ballast in the ground will become the weak point.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the responses. Although I cannot use a mesh with larger holes I think I will fill with concrete & rebar in lieu of a thicker gauge.
johnrdz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batting cage , cement filled , concrete filled , filled fence posts , withstand winds