Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
C&D

Share |

Cedar or PT Fence Posts???

I'm replacing my rotted picket fence. I'm using cedar pickets and back rails. I'm going to be setting the posts in the ground and I'm wondering if I should use cedar or pressure treated posts? I don't mind spending the extra for cedar, but will they stand up as well as PT?
Thanks.

C&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Carpenter

Cedar will last longer than PT. If you're re-doing the whole fence in cedar you should really have the posts match.

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
C&D

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that cedar would hold up as well as PT in the ground.
Appreciate it!
C&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #4

If you said Iron or aluminum posts Decks Etc. would have suggested cedar posts:D .

there are many companys that do cedar fences with green posts in my location. The reason is because cedar will rot quicker if set in concrete. IMO so will pressure treated.

For the question you asked nobody can answer because the treating process for pressure treated lumber is new. If you want the cedar post to last longer apply a preservative to the end in contact with the ground. Good drainage around the post is the key to a longer lasting post. Installing gravel under the post will help...

Bob
bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Carpenter

You know me too well bob. I am biased towards cedar - I can't help it :cheesygri

I just think that using PT posts with the cedar looks bad but it is personal taste.

C&D, bob is right about the gravel at the bottom - you should have gravel at the bottom regardless if it is PT or cedar. Staining the cedar posts that goes into the cement is a necessity as well. $50 for a gallon of stain goes a long way to making your fence last a LOT longer.

As for materials, long ago I used to think that spending money on cedar instead of PT for a fence was a waste of money - because it was "just a fence". I say "used to" because once I had first built my first cedar fence, I resigned myself to never have a PT fence on my own home. The cedar looks so much nicer plus you can do more with it - like custom lattice work, etc.

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
Old 03-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Home Improvement Guy

Decks etc...is cedar as strong as P.T.
Do you use any precautions when working with P.T.
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Carpenter

Cedar isn't as strong structurally. For example, I did a porch last year where the client didn't want any PT used. I had to boost the joists up to 2x10's. As far as a fence goes, the cedar may not necessarily be stronger than PT but it will outlast it and look nicer to boot.

Precautions for PT? Do you mean when cutting it? I don't wear a mask (even though I probably should) because any mask I wear makes my glasses fog up. Seeing is a tad more important to me.

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
Old 03-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Home Improvement Guy

Ya, I meant cutting it and also just handling it. I've been oozed before with that green stuff when I grabbed it and needless to say, I wouldn't pick my nose, scratch my eye, or suck my thumb till after washing my hands...lol
BTW...have you considered contacts or lazer eye surgery? I can't imagine how great it would be to not need eyeglasses on the job!
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
Carpenter

I used to wear contacts for hockey (glasses won't fit under a goalie mask) but they're no good for work - too much sawdust, etc.

I've contemplated laser eye surgery, just haven't gotten up the nerve yet...

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecksEtc
You know me too well bob. I am biased towards cedar - I can't help it :cheesygri

I just think that using PT posts with the cedar looks bad but it is personal taste.

C&D, bob is right about the gravel at the bottom - you should have gravel at the bottom regardless if it is PT or cedar. Staining the cedar posts that goes into the cement is a necessity as well. $50 for a gallon of stain goes a long way to making your fence last a LOT longer.

As for materials, long ago I used to think that spending money on cedar instead of PT for a fence was a waste of money - because it was "just a fence". I say "used to" because once I had first built my first cedar fence, I resigned myself to never have a PT fence on my own home. The cedar looks so much nicer plus you can do more with it - like custom lattice work, etc.
I think that a cedar fence with a clear coat and pressure treated post looks very silly, but people buy into the hog wash...

Bob
bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
Contractor

They both last about the same here. We won't know about the new PT for a while.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #12

Here is some information that might help you choose:

So, What Kind of Fence is Best for You?
Attractive, sturdy fencing is now available in a broad range of materials. While having a choice is great, “choosing” sometimes poses a dilemma for those looking to add new fencing to their properties. Fence Authority is here to help make this process a little easier!
Of course, the main things to consider are how you want it to look and how much maintenance you can handle or are willing to undertake. Additionally, the climate where you live will determine how much wear and tear your fence will undergo. Popular materials are:
• Custom Wood Fences: Cedar
Wood fence constructed of Eastern White Cedar have been a classic choice for decades.. This is the same Cedar used for roofs and siding for the classic homes along the New England coastline. Eastern White Cedar; it’s warm, it’s traditional, it’s natural and it’s maintenance free!
• PVC - Vinyl Fences:
Vinyl fencing is a great choice if you are looking for durable, extremely low maintenance fencing. The quality of vinyl fencing is so excellent these days that you can hardly tell they are made of vinyl now. Color choices are a bit more limited, mainly ranging from white and beige, but vinyl fencing never needs to be painted. There is also no worrying about termites, rotting or warping, allowing you to enjoy beautiful fencing year and year.
• Aluminum Fences:
Old-fashioned wrought iron looks stunning, but it is extremely high maintenance, requiring regular repainting and touch ups. Aluminum has proved to be an excellent replacement, being less expensive and since it is less prone to oxidation, is far more durable while requiring a low level of maintenance. Additionally, aluminum can replicate the intricate look of wrought iron, but since aluminum can be extruded hollow, it is lighter and less cumbersome than wrought iron.

I found this on LINK REMOVED

this helped me pick my fence! I chose PVC just cos it needed less upkeep.

Last edited by Termite; 04-14-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Site spam rules violation, ad link removed
fenceguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #13

If using cedar pickets, I can see why you would want to use cedar posts. Keep in mind cedar will gray over time. To preserve the cedar posts, just make sure you have some crushed stone at the bottom of the post hole for drainage. You might also consider coating the in-ground portion with a wood perservative and maybe even wrapping the post in felt paper or ice/water barrier used in roofing.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecksEtc View Post

C&D, bob is right about the gravel at the bottom - you should have gravel at the bottom regardless if it is PT or cedar. Staining the cedar posts that goes into the cement is a necessity as well. $50 for a gallon of stain goes a long way to making your fence last a LOT longer..
Don't just use gravel at the bottom, backfill the entire hole with pea gravel. The more drainage, the less rot!
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

And don't use concrete. Go deeper and pack the fill better if worried about stability.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote