Cedar Fencing - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Fencing

How long will ceadar fencing last if sealed when install than cleaned and sealed every five years after that?

Advertisement

Clarence Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 568

Cedar Fencing

Depends on the grade of materials, how close to the ground it sits, how well your soil drains ECT.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,160

Cedar Fencing

And if it's heart wood or sapwood.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cedar Fencing

Not sure five years is the number to fixate on as humidity, temp and other weather factors will determine the mileage you will get out of even the highest quality sealer. Soil contact has already been mentioned but sprinkler overspray can speed wear too. Stay away from icky wax based sealer products like Thompson's Water Seal.

Well maintained cedar heartwood, with treated soil end posts, can last a long time though and choosing long lived fasteners can really lower your maintenance. I did minor repairs to an antique cedar lattice work fence around a property a number of years ago now and am quite proud of it today. I put two tones of a high end solid stain on it. It was close to 100 years old when I got to it and many fasteners had had it but the wood could, conceivably, be around for another 100. Gates had large round openings in them and the kids climbing through them had done damage to that lattice work. The rest was fine.

I have worked on antique cedar and cypress heartwood house siding that is over a century old. The weak link has usually been corroded fasteners or layers upon layers of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar Fencing-lattice-repair-two-tone-fence.jpg  

Last edited by user1007; 10-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Cedar Fencing

Use a good sealer like TWP or Cabbot sealer. Thompsons is worthless after a year or less.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

Cedar Fencing

Thanks for all the answers.
I am installing a new cedar fence and do not know if it is worth installing No. 1 over No. 2 cedar. The fence will be about 4" above ground. How long should clear No. 1 and No. 2 cedar last if maintained?
clarencedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

Cedar Fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Meadow View Post
How long will ceadar fencing last if sealed when install than cleaned and sealed every five years after that?
Thanks for all the answers. I am installing a new fence and do not know if cedar is worth while installing or if No. 1 cedar is worth installing over No. 2 cedar. The fence will be about 4" off the ground and will be maintained. How long will No1 cedar last and how long will No. 2 cedar last?

Advertisement

clarencedee is offline   Reply With Quote