Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar 4 X 4 split rail post removal

I'm diging out way to large hunks of concrete around these posts!!! Any one have any ideas of an easier way to unearth thes concrete monsters?? Whoever put them in must have had a lot of time, a lot of concrete, and wasn't worried about rot. . .

B Michael

B Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

pull them out with a truck and a chain. the concrete will come off easily once out of the ground.

if that's not an option, You could rent a demo hammer and bull point and try to bust up the concrete while in the ground

Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #3

That's a great idea and fun too! Somewhere I saw somebody came up with a "post puller" You hammer in some spikes to the concrete on two sides and the spike hooks are attatched to chain. The rig rolls up to where you need it, has a handle that ratchets with each push down. Sort of like a small protable chain winch. It worked well almost would flatten the tires as it gained tension. Pulled out some monster concrete chunks though. Can't find one here in the city slicker California. Ever hear of such a thing. . .?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
Familyman

go to the junkyard and buy an old tire rim. tie the chain around the post about a foot off the ground. make a wrap around the rim. when the rim squats it will transfer the energy to the post and pull it straight up. do it all the time with t-posts and a four-wheeler. just used the same method a couple of weeks ago to pull some large corner posts in the pasture. tie a safety rope or chain to the chain you are pulling so nothing or noone gets damaged.
matt700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
Familyman

one more thing a little grease on the wheel will help the chain roll on the rim. you want the chain to ride in the tire bead groove
Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #6

so the rim is in contact with the post right but the chain slides around the rim with the help of some grease? Do you make the wrap around the rim over under or under over?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Familyman

Tie the chain to the post. drop the chain onto the rim bring the chain behind (opposite side of the post) the rim. make one more wrap in the same fashion. Your chain should be on the bottom of the rim running beside the post. Tie a safety restraint to the chain. pull. As the chain tightens, it will make the rim squat. it will also atttempt to turn. as it turns it will pull the post. You have just made what we call a "cathead" on a drilling rig. you can pull the gates off of hell with just a little power. you might have to adjust the placement on the chain to get it right. on a t-post or something small, it doesn.t matter. they will just pop right up. a 4x4 takes rigging adjustments sometimes.
Sometimes people will drive posts into the ground a good ways and then cement around them. Last year I encountered that problem on a cyclone fence corner post. it took my z-71 to pull it out. it was in the ground about four feet. if it wasn't for the safety lanyards ( i used two on that one because i was skurred) i would have had the rim in my front seat. i doubt the 4x4's are like that, but you never know.
I hope i helped. I know you might be skeptical, but it works. I have told a few people about this procedure. They doubted me at first, but it worked for them.
Good luck.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #8

sounds great! Are you pulling by hand most of the time or with the Z-71? I was going to tie the chain to my trailer hitch and go easy till it pops up but maybe I don't need that much pull force.

Let me get this right - the rim is on the same side of the post that I will be pulling from, I drop the chain on the top of the rim and wrap it around the rim side away from the post , then again. Because the chain is tied to the post and below (?) the height of the rim center when it goes taught it forces the rim to squat down an try to turn. Right? I just have to go and wrap one I think then I'll see it with out over thinking.

Sounds like I'll be able to pull them out in much less time than digging and cussing! A lot of the posts are rotted though - they may just break off before the concrete pulls up. This guy didn't use tar or anything on the pos just set the post and dumped in the concrete.. Guess I would have too though

Thanks for the ideas! I don't want to pull the rim through my windshield either!!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

I'll go with the "they are tough" to get out, Just one question, is there a way you could just cut off the posts and leave the rest in the ground, is that an option for you? After all the work to get them out, you need to find a place to dispose of them, I'd leave them in place.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #10

Ha ha! yeah I'd love to but I'm replacing and re building the ...fence. Sounds lame as I did shorten the length of one section because it's been taken out three times by, well let's say drivers that don't know how to back up! But the same kind of fence is going back up and the spacing no matter what I do puts the posts in the same hole or so close to the original post holes that I'd have to chip out these man made boulders anyway. Thanks for the thought though. I'll try the "cathead" pull tomorrow but a little nervous of putting something through my windshield or the neighbors front window! At least it's 20 degrees cooler now- down to 85 today. . .
Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
Familyman

if those posts are rotten, i wouldn't try the rim.
if they are rotten enough, you can bust the post out of the concrete. that should give you enough play to use a sledge and pry bar to bust the concrete. lotta sweat. rent a hammer. shouldn't take a big one