Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

cargo trailer floor

I bought a used cargo trailer- 6' x 10' to tow equipment in. The floor looks like 3/4" plywood but looks to be worn- the metal beams under it look to be in good shape. I am wondering how difficult it is to remove the old plywood and install new plywood. ANy advice-suggestions? Looks like it's all screwed down to the metal beams- i am not sude what type of screws are used

Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 96

cargo trailer floor

Need a picture.
May be easier to just add another layer of 1/2" subfloor rated plywood over what's there.
Is this an enclosed trailer?
Lowes and Home Depot both carry self tapping flat head screws just for this job.
I've found they hold better if I predrill a hole instead of letting them self tap.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #3

cargo trailer floor

thanks Joe- I will snap a picture- I thought of that but my concern is- if the original plywood is worn around the outer edges- won't that eventually deteriorate?
Huskyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

cargo trailer floor

Yes it will. Some people use Marine grade plywood, then coat with a couple coats of poly on both sides, before installing, to help make it last. As for around the edges, you could use metal bead around them, to help survive any damage.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
STAFF

Rewards Points: 28

cargo trailer floor

A few years back I built a little teardrop camper, sealed the bottom of the plywood with roofing sealer with fiber. It never leaked the first time and is still like new. It is a little messy but worth it. If you plan to leave the old floor down it may be a little harder to seal the bottom in place.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

cargo trailer floor

I just put together a trailer from Harbor Freight and used 3/4 Plywood with a few coats of external Polyurothean. Seems to have worked well. Just make sure you poly after you drill the holes to ensure you don't get rot around them, due to trapped water.In addition, I know of people that have used Plasti-dip around the screws and other areas to give it a seal, as well as grip when walking on it.Good luck with your trailer.

BRWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRWhelan For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-22-2013)