Capping Off 75% Of Sprinkler Heads? Re-planning Sprinkler System? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Capping off 75% of sprinkler heads? Re-planning sprinkler system?

Hey all - I live on a half-acre and have a full-yard sprinkler system the previous owner installed around 2006. It's a rain bird. I live north of Atlanta.

My yard has changed since it was installed. Some areas don't need to be watered as they are now pine straw and no grass. Elsewhere, I've purposefully allowed bushes to grow larger, and the heads pop up inside the bushes. Then I have a playset area that's getting watered.

My neighbors have identical properties and no sprinkler systems, and their grass looks no different than mine. So I planned to pretty much stop using it unless we're in a drought or something.

I've installed a few veggie gardens around the house, however, and some of the heads are ideal to water them. Yet I have 6 zones, and each has about 6 heads going.

So to hit my garden, I only need 1 out of the 6 heads. But I'm forced to run that whole zone, so end up watering half my backyard at the same time. These are the larger rotating heads.

I've also got a front decorative garden that runs the length of my house front. I redid the garden completely, and need to keep it watered. Same deal here - this zone has about 8 of the little, non-rotating heads - and they pop up out in my grass as well as in the garden. I only want the ones in the garden.

They sell the caps - so can I simply cap-off the heads I don't want, thus forcing all the water from that zone only to the heads I do want? Or will this send too much pressure to those fewer heads, or perhaps restrict the system or put undue stress on it?

I think there will be times when I may want to revert to the original setup, then I could just uncap them.

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 32

It will be fine, depending on the set up it may increase the GPH of the opperating sprinlers so just adjust the run time accordingly to avoid over watering

Advertisement

Snails Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

You can dig them up and cap them, I've capped a few in my yard and re-routed one of the lines to go around a concrete patio we put in.

If you cap them, measure from a couple of permanent fixtures in your yard (corner of house, side walk etc.) and write the measurements down somewhere. This is so you can find them again if you decide reinstall the heads.
crf731 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crf731 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (11-17-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

It's going to be fine, according to the create it could boost the GPH from the opperating sprinlers and so simply just change this run time period accordingly to avoid in excess of providing water.

RobertColes
RobertColes is offline   Reply With Quote