Can I Run Irrigation PVC Pipes Along The Fence? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Can I run irrigation PVC pipes along the fence?

I need to run two PVC pipes to the other side of the yard. In between I already have lawns, planting boxes, patios etc so it will be a PITA to run the PVC pipe underground. But then I found out that if I can run my PVC pipe along my fence (I have 6' tall solid fences between me and all my neighbors.), it will be a very simple job. My fence was painted Boston Green and I can paint my PVC pipe the same color so that it will be barely noticeable.

What is your take on this?

Advertisement

Last edited by htabbas; 05-02-2012 at 07:39 PM.
htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Well freezing isn't an issue for you...
Were you planning something permanently connected to your plumbing or something you could maybe attach to a convenient hose bib when needed?

Advertisement

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr View Post
Well freezing isn't an issue for you...
Were you planning something permanently connected to your plumbing or something you could maybe attach to a convenient hose bib when needed?
It never freeze here in California.

I am planning the PVC pipes to be permanent. Once it reaches the other side of the yard I will route it into the ground for the sprinkler head.
htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Special User

Rewards Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
I am planning the PVC pipes to be permanent. Once it reaches the other side of the yard I will route it into the ground for the sprinkler head.
Don't forget a backflow preventer / vacuum break. Also, attaching permanent plumbing to a home / water meter requires a permit or licensed plumber in many jurisdictions.

Also, bare white PVC turns brown in sunlight and becomes very brittle. PVC requires UV protection, usually done by burial but paint should also work if you repaint whenever it flakes off.

Last edited by tylernt; 08-13-2012 at 11:09 AM.
tylernt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tylernt For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definitely mind the UV degradation warning. You may want to step up from Schedule 40 to Schedule 80 if you are going to lay it out in the sun. The added thickness will better resist the UV damage. It would be a bit more expensive but you might eliminate the risk by running galvanized pipe for the supply lines you need until you can go underground again.

Painting PVC can be a challenge. Rustoleum makes a plastic primer I would encourage you to try. It comes in liquid and rattle cans. Rustoleum also makes plastic paint in rattle cans. Krylon Fusion, in rattle cans, is formulated for plastics also.

Make sure you put some sort of cut-off on those supply lines so you don't have to shut all the water to the house off if something goes wrong. You definitely need backflow and anti-syphon valves on it too.

Last edited by user1007; 08-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote