Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

can i get these tree roots

i have a tree that is in 15 in diamter. it is away 12 ft from my house and some of the roots are above ground level. i can see some of the roots going toward the house and i dont want any foundation problems. some of the roots are quarter in size up to in 1in in diamter but i only see 1 or 2 of those bigger ones. i rather cut these if i can and just wait for it to die if i cut too much or the wrong ones and then cut it down than have it mess with my foundation,. all of them i would cut 6 feet away from the trunk and only above ground level but they would be pretty much on one side of the tree and not all the roots, maybe about 6 or 7. what kind of trouble am i asking for if i do? thanks

jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

If I understand your question( not easy), cutting that many roots will most likely permanently damage the tree.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If I understand your question( not easy), cutting that many roots will most likely permanently damage the tree.
ya i know, i was trying to be exact on what i was cutting, how long will that tree have now before something happens?
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Most tree's roots grow in the first 18 inches of soil and can grow 2 to 3 times further out then the area of foliage. If your tree is 15 inches in diameter then it is a mature tree. Depending on how large the canopy of the tree is, the root system may extend beyond the other side of your house. Foundation penetration may only be an issue if you have water drainage issues around your house. If your sewage line is older clay pipes then you have a greater chance of the tree roots invading the line for the steady water source.

Cutting any roots for the tree will have a negative impact on the tree. Those 1 inch and smaller roots are what transport the water and minerals to the tree to grow.
MBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhack836 View Post
ya i know, i was trying to be exact on what i was cutting, how long will that tree have now before something happens?

Hard to say
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote