Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Can this bush be moved?

Hi All. I need to move this bush. I'd hate to destroy it. Do you think it can be moved?

I'd say it's about 8 feet high and the base of the trunk is somewhere around 12" in diameter, quickly tapering off.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Can this bush be moved?-bush.jpg  

tbeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #2

Can this bush be moved?

It's definitely worth a try! Just have it's new space properly prepped and keep it watered enough all summer.

I've transplanted a lot of Lilac trees and last year I transplanted a huge Burning Bush I got out of someone's yard on Craigs List. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to make it after a few months. But now it's leaves are coming out and it's looking very healthy.

When you dig it out, don't dig anywhere near the trunk. Start digging where the drip line is. If there aren't any roots out that far, you can start digging a little closer to the trunk. The main idea is to cut through as few roots as possible.

Good luck. It's beautiful, I hope it works!

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #3

Can this bush be moved?

You might want to rent a mud pump and then use a garden hose to remove the soil around the root ball. Once visible, you can cut roots prudently.
Figure on removing a cubic yard of soil.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #4

Can this bush be moved?

It can certainly be moved, but figure on a lot of back breaking work.

I would tie the plant to make it narrower, so you can get in to dig. Work a piece of rope 'choking' the plant from bottom to top, keeping the rope tight. I would figure on a minimum 42" diameter root ball for a plant that size. Shallow is ok (it looks like a Gold thread Cypress) and wide is a necessity. Maybe 18-24" deep x 42" wide. If you use a sharp spade you'll find digging to be easier. Taper the ball from top to bottom so that when you reach final depth, the bottom of the ball is about 18" wide. Wrap in burlap, secure the sides, top, and bottom with rope, and get several strong backs to help you move the plant to the new location. You might want to do some research on how to 'drum lace' a root ball.

To move that plant successfully is a big project.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #5

Can this bush be moved?

Thank you all for the feedback. After some thought and exploration of the root system, I made the decision that I just didn't have the resources to move this beast of a shrub.

Last year my Wife and I moved two blueberry bushes which were 1/20th this size. That was a lot of work and the root balls were so heavy!

I really hate destroying plants, but with everything I have on my plate, and limited finances, I decided to cut it down. We'll be planting more appropriate trees and shrubs as we settle in.

Thank you again.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #6

Can this bush be moved?

That bush looked like a chamaecyparis. They can be iffy. I'm glad you decided not to move it. Before you cut one down the next time, try some artful pruning. I hate to lose shrubs, too. Pruning can be a lot of fun and there's always that option of removal if you've decided to go that route.
dinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Can this bush be moved?

Thanks, Dinah.

This bush really had to go. It was planted too close to a 150+ year old barn and the roots have compromised the stone foundation. It's also ensured lots of snow runoff got trapped against the foundation and wall for a double whammy. We need to get in there to repair the damage and jack the walls back up.