Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Share |
Default

Buying a Snowblower


how big of a driveway do you have? how far do you have to throw it? guessing in nj you get wet snow.... takes more power to throw it. my grandfather went with a troy built last winter after having a ariens for 30 years...... I must say, troy built john deer and cub have sold out.. It tends to be the american way, take a great name water it down throw it in a big box store.


myself i'd go with a good quality used one over the same priced new one. 8hp min. i'd say
Turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,770
Default

Buying a Snowblower


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo5upra View Post
how big of a driveway do you have? how far do you have to throw it? guessing in nj you get wet snow.... takes more power to throw it. my grandfather went with a troy built last winter after having a ariens for 30 years...... I must say, troy built john deer and cub have sold out.. It tends to be the american way, take a great name water it down throw it in a big box store.


myself i'd go with a good quality used one over the same priced new one. 8hp min. i'd say
Supposedly, John Deere at the big box (MTD along with CC and TB) isn't the same as John Deere from the dealer.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Buying a Snowblower


Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Supposedly, John Deere at the big box (MTD along with CC and TB) isn't the same as John Deere from the dealer.
very true.....
Turbo5upra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Buying a Snowblower


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo5upra View Post
how big of a driveway do you have? how far do you have to throw it? guessing in nj you get wet snow.... takes more power to throw it. my grandfather went with a troy built last winter after having a ariens for 30 years...... I must say, troy built john deer and cub have sold out.. It tends to be the american way, take a great name water it down throw it in a big box store.


myself i'd go with a good quality used one over the same priced new one. 8hp min. i'd say
I was thinking about that. Where would one go to find a used machine he can trust?

FW
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Buying a Snowblower


Does anyone think that a snowblower would be less expensive if purchased in an area where they get more snow?
My thinking is that there would be a better supply for the damand, and thus lower prices?
I am taking a camping trip to Vermont (Killington) in Oct, and thought maybe I would look around before I go home.
I could probably fit the machine in my Subaru Forester if I re-arrange my camping gear.

FW
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,770
Default

Buying a Snowblower


Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
Does anyone think that a snowblower would be less expensive if purchased in an area where they get more snow?
My thinking is that there would be a better supply for the damand, and thus lower prices?
I am taking a camping trip to Vermont (Killington) in Oct, and thought maybe I would look around before I go home.
I could probably fit the machine in my Subaru Forester if I re-arrange my camping gear.

FW
Might be the same....consider that there's greater demand also due to more snow.

Timing is really everything. Best time to buy is right as the winter season is winding down and it starts to get warmer.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Buying a Snowblower


I thought about that last year, but no one had any machines left, or prices were still at season high levels.
Maybe I was looking in the wrong places.

In any case, I am afraid that I won't be able to get through another winter without a machine. I am starting to have trouble with aches, etc, and still want to run road races, so I don't want to ruin my body shoveling snow<g>

FW
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

Buying a Snowblower


I went to buy one...wife hemmed & hawed (I do almost all the shoveling)
I had a 10% off coupon for HD, didn't buy it
Weeks later MA had the Tax free weekend - no sales tax
We are at HD again. wife says why don't we buy the snowblower??
Ummm....how is 5% off better then 10% off?

I may wait until end of season sales this year
Or maybe even next year when the new driveway goes in
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Buying a Snowblower


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I went to buy one...wife hemmed & hawed (I do almost all the shoveling)
I had a 10% off coupon for HD, didn't buy it
Weeks later MA had the Tax free weekend - no sales tax
We are at HD again. wife says why don't we buy the snowblower??
Ummm....how is 5% off better then 10% off?

I may wait until end of season sales this year
Or maybe even next year when the new driveway goes in
I've waited 30 years to buy one!
I was fine with shoveling until I reached that golden age of 50. After that, everything seemed to go downhill.
I have run 9 marathons, even qualified for and ran Boston. But now I am pushing to run 10 miles without something starting to hurt.

Shoveling snow is just something I believe is best left to a professional, or a machine.
The machine will (in the long run) be cheaper than hiring someone every time it snows.

OTOH, I guess I could just let the snow sit and wait until it melts
I often feel that I have wasted my time and energy when I spend hours shoveling and a few days later, the snow is gone.

FW
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying a house with structural damage?? saholly_8 Building & Construction 2 02-02-2009 12:29 PM
jammed snowblower Dee_M General DIY Discussions 11 11-27-2008 11:19 PM
Buying a problem? srtbrew General DIY Discussions 1 09-13-2008 12:06 PM
Toro SnowBlower 521 metallic sound mteach General DIY Discussions 1 12-13-2007 12:27 PM
buying my first property HUDSONVALLEYEXT Building & Construction 5 03-29-2007 12:19 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.