Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

Bumpy yard, what are my options?

Hello,

I recently bought a house and noticed the backyard and a little bit of the front yard is very bumpy and it actually hurts to walk on it with bare feet. I have a one year old and another on the way and would love for them to be able to play back there in a few years with nice ground.

I've been reading up on this and some are saying to cut up all the grass, fill in the wholes then replant the grass. Others have said just put topsoil over the top of it over a long period of time and that also can fix it. Rolling i've read isn't recommended. What's the best way to go about this? I've never really actually done anything regarding grass other than mowing :P

Is any of the solutions to this technically 'hard'? It concerns me and i would like to get this issue fixed asap. Any help would be great!!!!

criel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
DIY-er

Adding soil is easy, just add a 1" max. layer and smooth out with a rake. You could also have your lawn aerated - they will poke holes into your lawn every 8 inches or so and remove the grass - this is usually done for older lawns that have a layer of dead grass matted onto the soil, but it can also loosen up soil that is compacted.

KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

top soil is the way to go just spread it out till it levels out don't choke the exsisitng grass.then the exsisting grass will work its way up thru it...even a walking spreader that drops the dirt in a fixed line...as you go.evertime a garden and have top soil left from planting i toss it out over my lawn randomly and the lawn eats it up....ive been 24yrs mowing and nebver bagged the clippings..best nutrition for the exsisting...bad news is it's not going to happen this summer maybe even not next either...work on the leveling till fall seed before T-Day and let the winter tweek it..for spring 2013.that exsisting grass is your biggest plus be easy on it how is the winter snows where you are...very important to a seeded lawn
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote