Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
New House Newbie

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

I built my house 3 years ago. i installed a sprinkler system (myself) and pulled a drag around the yard for an entire weekend to make sure all the rocks were pulled up (and removed) and the soil was loose. Well, I got excited and planted grass too early (late summer) and it did not grow well. I noticed the lines from the drag were showing up (even though I raked in the seed by hand). The grass has now become thicker and is looking pretty good. However, the yard is getting very bumpy or rutty (is that a word?). I am almost 100% sure that no animals are burrowing underneath it. I bought a lawn packer and soaked the areas down with the sprinkler system and it improved some, but is still noticeable when walking and mowing. My thoughts are, even though I soak the lawn down, the ground is too packed to absorb the water. Sound plausible? Would arieating the yard help with this? I am running out of ideas and energy trying to combat this. Any ideas?

C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

You should not have had a problem with an irrigation system with planting in summer.

I am not sure what you mean by a lawn packer. A roller is used when sowing seed to make sure the seed are pressed into the soil for good contact but you shouldn't be using that now. And any extra weight on wet soil is not good at all!

Are you sure no animals are burrowing? But do these follow a pattern or just here and there all over the yard?

I would go with the areation and a fall fertilization. This is a good time for it right now.

PS
Always give your location in gardening/landscaping posts. And any specific information about the plants in question is good, i.e. what type of lawn, shrubs, etc.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #3

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

In my case it is Moles or Voles that are causing the problem, I guess my irrigation system enhances the growth of grubs and the underground critters are having a field day. So, I am setting traps and have reduced the mole/vole population to a small degree.
vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_GO View Post
I built my house 3 years ago. i installed a sprinkler system (myself) and pulled a drag around the yard for an entire weekend to make sure all the rocks were pulled up (and removed) and the soil was loose. Well, I got excited and planted grass too early (late summer) and it did not grow well. I noticed the lines from the drag were showing up (even though I raked in the seed by hand). The grass has now become thicker and is looking pretty good. However, the yard is getting very bumpy or rutty (is that a word?). I am almost 100% sure that no animals are burrowing underneath it. I bought a lawn packer and soaked the areas down with the sprinkler system and it improved some, but is still noticeable when walking and mowing. My thoughts are, even though I soak the lawn down, the ground is too packed to absorb the water. Sound plausible? Would arieating the yard help with this? I am running out of ideas and energy trying to combat this. Any ideas?
go rent a yard roller. This what we do in florida
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

I'm inclined to think that the soil in ND is different from the sand in FL.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
New House Newbie

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

The ruts are in a line, pretty much where the drag made lines. I was packing a foundation for my shed at the back of the lot today and rolled over those spots with the skidsteer, so I will see how it feels in a couple of days. Areating is next on my list.

How can I tell if it is mole/vole?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #7

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

Quote:
The ruts are in a line, pretty much where the drag made lines. I was packing a foundation for my shed at the back of the lot today and rolled over those spots with the skidsteer, so I will see how it feels in a couple of days. Areating is next on my list.

How can I tell if it is mole/vole?
their will be a mound of dirt here and their. Or at least this is what they do here in florida. I take a garden hose and fill the dirt back in the hole sometime's i fill up the hole with water. A mole has no eye's but has to breath-- maybe water will slow them down
Old 10-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
New House Newbie

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
their will be a mound of dirt here and their. Or at least this is what they do here in florida. I take a garden hose and fill the dirt back in the hole sometime's i fill up the hole with water. A mole has no eye's but has to breath-- maybe water will slow them down
I guess I don't see any mounds of dirt or any holes as to an exit. What is a yard roller? I have this which what you might be talking about:
Old 10-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #9

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

Quote:
I guess I don't see any mounds of dirt or any holes as to an exit. What is a yard roller? I have this which what you might be talking about:
Yes that should go it . If the soil is real dry you mite wet it some what ?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
New House Newbie

Bumpy Yard (Ruts)

I have soaked down the areas and rolled them before with very little gain. i am guessing the soil is too compacted to absorb the water, so areating might need to be the next step.