Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

Bumble Bee's

I don't know if this is the correct section but I have a concern with bumble bee's in my front and backyard. I have tree's around my house that have some type of little white buds on them that bumble bee's love. This is killing me especially because they are messing with my kids. Does anyone know something that I can put all over the trees to keep them away but not kill the tree's? I attached a picture of the tree! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Name:  ForumRunner_20130414_174202.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  90.8 KB

mckain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Bumble Bee's

How about a picture of the bees?
Bees are extreamy important insects, those trees would not even be blooming or bearing fruit of there's no bees.

Have these bees been stinging the kids, or just flying around scaring them?

If there just common Honey Bees there not going to sting unless steped on or someone trys to catch one.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Bumble Bee's

There just scaring the kids. I mean there is probably 30 per tree. I just want to see if there is something to get them away. If it starts to affect the tree I will stop putting it on the tree.
mckain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
DIY staff

Bumble Bee's

As soon as the blooms are off the tree the bees will look for lunch elsewhere----

The kids need to respect the bees and simply stay away for a week or two.

Honey bees and bumble bees are not aggressive (except the Africanized ones from Texas) so there is little danger.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bumble Bee's

I agree. We are making some progress in theories as to what is killing off bees but there is nothing conclusive yet. Bees are the major pollinators of food crops world wide and responsible for much of what we all eat. Bee farmers truck bees all over the country to pollinate orchards and things.

Members of my extended family have a honey farm and in all the years visiting them and even (with permission) reaching into a hive being harvested to grab a piece of warm, dripping honeycomb for a snack I have never been stung on their property. In fact, I think I have only been stung three times in my life by a bee so far. And I survived.

While your kids may be frightened, the bees will not likely hurt them unless they start swatting at them or otherwise pose a threat. Bumble bees talk a good game but are actually less likely to sting than even honey bees are. They can be annoying and frightening though and I don't mean to discount the fears of your children. Just see if you can put it in perspective.

As mentioned, they will leave once the tree is finished blooming unless there is a hive hidden in it or something.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

Bumble Bee's

Agreed, bumblebees are the least aggressive of all bees that I am aware of. Now if you're talking about the bees that bore holes in wood and defend their territory to the death, and are almost 1" big, now those suckers I can understand. You need to be more specific, otherwise you're not going to get any sympathy as most bees are harmless and not aggressive. I would say the only bee that would ever pay any attention to me at all was those carpenter bees. Which apparently are harmless (have no stingers)... The Male Carpenter bee will hover around people near their nests... In that case the best defense is to get rid of any possible nesting area you may have, i.e. wood siding, soffits etc... They used to bore holes in my parent's wooden mailbox, and it was a nightmare getting the mail. Solution, plastic mailbox + stand. Just make sure to teach your kids the difference between "good and bad bugs"... and why they're doing what they're doing. Most bees/wasps have no interest in people except to defend their nests. Discourage them from making nests near where you live.

I planted a very pollen/nectar dense perennial bed at our last house and had swarms of bees/wasps and I could walk up to them and nearly touch them, never had a problem in the 3 years we had it. The benefit of providing food and water for them is my roses and vegetables were nearly bug free. Most wasps are predatory and will eat your aphids and other vegetable eating bugs. Just get them to make their nests away from where you frequent, and they won't be aggressive. They're more interested in food/water than you normally.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef611.asp
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bumble Bee's

I doubt these are carpenter bees but see another post running on the topic. They are extremely aggressive but seldom sting. The burrow into wood to nest. Given the OPs bees are swarming to a flowering tree, they are no doubt a species of bumble bee if large. Scary to kids perhaps but harmless.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #8

Bumble Bee's

To the OP, no offense here, but it seems you're a little naive when it comes to bees....

* broad brush stroke *

There's two distinct categories of "bees". One being bees - honey, bumble, carpenter, and other smaller versions like stone or rock bees, can't recall their exact name. Then there's wasps ( this includes hornets ), yellowjackets, bald face hornets, paper wasps, cicada killers, mud daubers, etc.

Bees are "harmless" in the sense that if you don't mess with them, they wont mess with you.

Again painting a broad brush stroke here....bees are herbivores ( all over flowers and such ) that sting in self defense only, since once they sting something, they croak, as their stinger is barbed and will pull half their hiney's guts out.

Wasps are carnivores, and while they too sting in self defense, they also use their stinger for hunting/predation - e.g. cicada killers and mud daubers. Members of the wasp family can be exceedingly aggressive ( I guess their hardwired buggy DNA tells them they can sting til the cows come home and they'll be fine? LOL ), sometimes with nothing more than the smell of your breath....bald face hornets, yellow jackets, and paper wasps as three top examples.

The counter to that are wasps that are just as docile as bees - e.g. cicada killers and european hornets, the latter being a huge wasp that one would think could take down a cow with a sting.

Odds are your tree is just being visited by the local bee populous, thus nothing to "bee" worried about unless one tries to pick one off a flower. The party is only going to last a couple days, then flowers will be gone, and so will the bees.

Only twice in my life have I been stung by a bee, and both times it was 100% my fault. I've been stung many many times by wasps, but again, most of those stings were also my fault, except for the one time I was stung by a paper wasp for just looking at it.....I guess it didn't like the Billy Idol T-shirt I was wearing? LOL

Oh BTW...bees/wasps have a little sensory trick that sets them off....they have a stink, or pheromone, that comes out when one gets squashed, which sets the other members of the tribe into full on defense/attack mode as it tells them one of their buddies just got steamrolled and it's on!

Chokingdogs is online now   Reply With Quote