Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
uva uvam videndo variafit

Share |

Brown Spot in Turf

I have St. Aug. turf and I live in Mississippi. The brown spot on the attached pic shows up all summer. The spots seem to last 2-3 weeks, then they disappear and show up somewhere else. At any given time there are about 6 of these spots in the lawn. Any idea what this might be? I had a guy from Scotts out a week ago and he said that he had never seen this in his 20 years experience. The size and shape are fairly consistent - about 18"x8" and shaped like the insole of a shoe. It occurs inside and outside of the fenced in area and it's not where my dog pees, so it's not animal urine. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Brown Spot in Turf-img_0167.jpg   Brown Spot in Turf-img_0168.jpg  

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Brown Spot in Turf

I don't know what that spot is but my whole state of MD looks like that, so feel lucky

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

Brown Spot in Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I have St. Aug. turf and I live in Mississippi. The brown spot on the attached pic shows up all summer. The spots seem to last 2-3 weeks, then they disappear and show up somewhere else. At any given time there are about 6 of these spots in the lawn. Any idea what this might be? I had a guy from Scotts out a week ago and he said that he had never seen this in his 20 years experience. The size and shape are fairly consistent - about 18"x8" and shaped like the insole of a shoe. It occurs inside and outside of the fenced in area and it's not where my dog pees, so it's not animal urine. Thanks.
If you have a local agricultural co-op near by, you might be able to take them a sample for testing. If you have a large garden center nearby, you might ask them. Bring a sample and photos.
It could be grubs or a fungus. Have you dug under them to see if insects are there?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
uva uvam videndo variafit

Brown Spot in Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you have a local agricultural co-op near by, you might be able to take them a sample for testing. If you have a large garden center nearby, you might ask them. Bring a sample and photos.
It could be grubs or a fungus. Have you dug under them to see if insects are there?
Ron
No, I haven't dug underneath. I was thinking it was fungus, but it doesn't seem to match the typical fungus patterns. I battle with brown patch and leaf spot every year, so fungus is not new to my turf. I sent the pics over to John Deere and I'll see what they say. Thanks
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Always learning...

Brown Spot in Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Have you dug under them to see if insects are there?
I agree with Ron. If you know for sure that its not being damaged from above, it must be happening from below. Digging out a piece might reveal your true problem. Good luck.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote