Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

Share |

broken lawn mower, now what?

hey everyone.. my lawnmower finally bit the dust, it blew a gasket and siezed so... yeah, its done... but i still need something for lawn care so im looking for some advice as to what would work for lets say a 30x60 lawn? (i dont know the exact measurements, but close enough)

i dont want to go with another gas mower, so i was considering an electric mower, or reel mower.. are the newer reel mowers pretty easy to use?... also since the lawn isnt very big, for cost, portability i was considering using a trimmer..

so, reel mower vs gas or electric trimmer vs this third option i have...

i have a 1 1/2hp, maybe 2hp electric motor from a plunge router.. motor works fine, however it spins at 25,000 rpm or so.. and lawnmowers spin more at about 3500... so i was thinking of stepping this down to 3500-5000rpms, either by electronically reducing the watts probably with a large rheostat, or by using a pully to decrease speed while increasing torque....

if i went either route, would there be enough power to cut grass?.. and if so, am i better off hooking this contraption up to a set of blades, or use the wire/cables like a trimmer uses?

Last edited by jason41987; 06-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
jason41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #2

Do you want to mow the lawn this summer of spend the summer in the garage trying to make something work?
http://www.worxtools.com/US/WORX_Lawn_Mowers-C19.aspx

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (06-04-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason41987 View Post
...for lets say a 30x60 lawn?
i dont want to go with another gas mower, so i was considering an electric
Consider? That's about it for the choices if you don't use gas engine.

Go to Lowes... find the mower aisle.
Point your finger then close your eyes and turn in a circle three times.
Buy the one you're pointing at when done.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

Why not a reel mower?
You won't run out of gas, you don't have a cord to lug around.
Its a litlle more work, but most of us could use the exercise anyways.
Depends where you live, too. I don't think I would want to be pushing around a manual mower in Lousiana in July.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

I HIGHLY recommend a reel mower. I use one for my home (with about the same sized lawn) and love it. I can mow, drink a beer and talk on a hands free phone all at the same time. No gas, no chord, no noise, no repairs, last forever, and it's healthier for you lawn for a variety of reasons which I invite you to google. (Gulf courses cut their grass with multiple reel mowers tethered to a tractor; that should tell you something about lawn health right there.) You can get a top of line, bran new reel mower for $140 but a $80-100 should suffice. I ocassionally see used ones for around $25 and somtimes people just give them away (assumably because they are moving into an apartment or simply don't understand the value of what they have.) You can even get one with a bagger on the rare ocassion that most people should need one.
WayneBollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #6

http://www.neutonpower.com/

Bought my wife one 5 years aGO, STILL WORKING WELL ON OUR SMALL LAWN.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

I have bought a couple of battery mowers. My conclusion is the battery will last about 5 years.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

With all due respect, I love the idea of lithium battery powered tools, but for a guy that's so frugal he's considering building a lawn mower in his garage out of spare sparts (god bless him) I wouldn't think he'd be interested in shelling out $500 for such device. Get a reel mower, Jason. You might find one on craigslist in your area for $20. And lawn mowing will become a zen-like experience you'll look foward to if you don't already.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

I don't know where you live, Jason, but, for example, it just now took me all of 20 seconds to find a reel mower for $20 here in Austin: http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/3054502429.html
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

yeah.. ill end up getting a reel mower, found out theres some new USA made reel mowers available at decent prices (around $100).. so ill probably pick up a 16"...

just a question though, since i dont have one to look at, but are each of the spinning blades actually sharpened, or do they just push the grass into a fixed blade?... just curious.. and ill probably pick up a small hand sharpening tool to keep it nice and sharp
jason41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

No, the blades on the reel are actual sharpened 'blades'. You won't need to sharpen a new one for a long time after buying it, but if and when you do need to sharpen it there's a sharpening kit you can get that will sharpen all of the spinning blades as you push the mower. I've never used it so I don't know how well it works. Congrats on your choice; I think you're making the right one. There are so many people out there that would be happier with a reel mower but if they've never used one then they just don't know.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneBollman View Post
it just now took me all of 20 seconds to find a reel mower for $20 here in Austin
ask the seller how many times he used it before deciding to stop using it
and what he's using now
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #13

Lightly oil the blades when you are done using it and don't miss a mowing or it becomes a real PITA.