Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Former Contractor

Share |

Broken Briggs, Leave the leaves?

Hi all, general lawn question,

I have about 3 acres, 1 acre of lawn / 2 of maple forest in northern Wisconsin. 3 weeks ago my 6 year old lawn tractor threw a rod. I need to buy a new engine, but I don't want to buy the engine and install it now. I may have snow before it gets here, plus I'd have to winterize a brand new engine that would only be used once. We live way out in the country, so getting a lawn company out here for 1 cut is a pain. Our neighbor has already winterized his tractor.

We have a bunch of leaves around the yard. Raking an acre inside a forest is nearly impossible. If I wait until next spring to pick up the leaves will the snowpack + the damp leaf layer kill my lawn? Is it better just to pay the premium and have a lawn company come "bag the lawn & leaves"?

PTP WX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #2

Pt,
Can't you get a blower and blow em into the woods?
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Former Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Pt,
Can't you get a blower and blow em into the woods?
Mike Hawkins
Too many leaves, I can blow them about 20' away from the house before they get around knee deep and the blower isn't effective anymore.
PTP WX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #4

Sounds like you need a bigger blower.

My experience has been that leaving this many leaves on a yard to be bad, if you like grass.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Im a N00b Here!

I was going to say the same thing about the blower... You can rent one from a day-rental place for like $30. BIG BLOWER that you walk behind with a 12hp engine on it! :-) It may take a few passes, but you will be much better off in the end.

Leaving them on the yard over the winter will definitely have an effect next spring. May not kill the yard, but it will get pretty close!
GasFurnaceGuide is offline   Reply With Quote