Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Noob w/ more experience

Share |
Question

Briggs and Stratton Murray lawn mower issues

Hello,
I have been having issues with my murray lawnmower, with a Briggs and Stratton model 90000. I don't have the exact model number as it is at home, but here is a link to the owner's manual: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf...B-Domestic.pdf

My engine starts up but will rev up and down(surging), when I try to go over an area of grass it eventually shuts off. I have changed oil, changed spark plug, and changed the air filter. The smoke coming out of the exhaust is black when it is reved up, which makes me think it is fuel related. What could this problem be, I have been told water in the gas, but is there anything else it could be?

Also, there is a triangle looking white piece of plastic that is right next to the carburetor above the gas tank that has a spring coming off of it, I took the spring off on accident and the triangle pieced moved around, now I don't know exactly how to put it back together, it seemed fairly self explanatory, but I am second guessing how I put it back together, does anyone have a picture or diagram to show how that should be put back together?

Thank You for the help
golfer2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Noob w/ more experience

My model number is 10g902 for anyone that can help out. Thank you
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Noob w/ more experience

I replaced the diaphram and it seems to be running a lot better. It still surges a little bit when the gas tank is filled up. Once the gas gets a little lower it runs much better. I can finally cut my grass again!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #4

the reason it is doing that is because the timing is off. that triangle part you took off you need to turn that that way the mower runs steadly and not sound like it is bogging down and about to die.
dsarnes is offline   Reply With Quote