Briggs And Stratton Engine - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Briggs and Stratton Engine

I have a Yard Machine wood chipper with a Briggs and Stratton 4 cycle engine on it. Model 24A-462G129. Was mulching leaves with it today, it was running fine and all of a sudden it just died. I figured it was out of gas. It sounded like someone had moved the throttle to off, it throttled down and shut off....... I get the gas can and find more than a half was still in the tank. Odd.....I topped it off but it will not start back up.

Here is what I checked: It has spark, it has gas flow, clean carb ( was just replaced- I checked anyway, its clean). Tried putting gas directly in spark plug hole- it will not fire. Engine turns over freely. Oil is full and still clean. Im stumped!!!!

Advertisement

pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

But do you have compression? Stick your finger in the sparkplug hole and give her a pull.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

yes it will suck my finger on the hole.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 79

Air filter?
Dwillems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

clean, just replaced
Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Compression, fuel and spark.....that's the big three. Timing is an issue. Have you checked the shear pin on the flywheel?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

Got a compression tester, only had 20 psi
Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,182

So now, as Missouri Bound suggested, pull the flywheel; most likely it's a key, but regardless, it is probably bad, and that's probably not uncommon for that application. Try to pick up an OEM one, because it's cheaper to replace a key than a crankshaft and/or block.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #9

so what usually happens? The flywheel key snaps?Im confused, When I pull on the cord, its turning the motor over and it has spark so the flywheel has to be attached ???
Old 12-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #10

Sometimes the key will break completely, and sometimes it will stay intact but bend enough to cause the timing to get off enough to not run. Either way, it's held onto the taper with a nut, so will still turn, but be out of time. I obviously can't say for certain that is the problem, but, based on what you have found so far, that is what I would check next. Not too bad of a job; remove something like 4 or five bolts that hold the cover in place, slide the cover off, loosen the nut to the point that it is flush with the end of the crankshaft, rap it firmly but not forcefully a couple of times with a block of wood between it and a hammer, pull the flywheel off, and inspect the key.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #11

sounds good, ill look into it this week
Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgsx
Got a compression tester, only had 20 psi
Whose to say 20psi ain't enough in a b&s (?). Try different gas?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
DexterII (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
Whose to say 20psi ain't enough in a b&s
OP, I forgot to mention this, but yes, titanoman is 100% correct; 20 psi on this engine is not necessarily indicative of a problem. But, it's probably a bit low, so given what you have checked so far, it seems reasonable to me to check it out, since, again, it's not much work to get there.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgsx View Post
I have a Yard Machine wood chipper with a Briggs and Stratton 4 cycle engine on it. Model 24A-462G129. Was mulching leaves with it today, it was running fine and all of a sudden it just died. I figured it was out of gas. It sounded like someone had moved the throttle to off, it throttled down and shut off....... I get the gas can and find more than a half was still in the tank. Odd.....I topped it off but it will not start back up.

Here is what I checked: It has spark, it has gas flow, clean carb ( was just replaced- I checked anyway, its clean). Tried putting gas directly in spark plug hole- it will not fire. Engine turns over freely. Oil is full and still clean. Im stumped!!!!
I didn't read the other post's. It may have a low oil senser on the motor. If the oil is low it will not run . Check and see it will have one wire going to it . I don't know where it is located but i guess look and see if their is a wire going to the motor down where the oil sump is . If the oil is ok remove it and see if it run's. If so you can do 2 thing's replace or just run motor if oil is ok. This is just to keep motor from seizing up if oil ran out .
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
I didn't read the other post's. It may have a low oil senser on the motor. If the oil is low it will not run . Check and see it will have one wire going to it . I don't know where it is located but i guess look and see if their is a wire going to the motor down where the oil sump is . If the oil is ok remove it and see if it run's. If so you can do 2 thing's replace or just run motor if oil is ok. This is just to keep motor from seizing up if oil ran out .

He said he had spark. When the low oil sensor is activated there is no spark.

Advertisement

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
del schisler (12-28-2011)