Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brick/Stone patio questions

Originally posted in Contruction until I noticed this forum.

I'll try to explain as best I can:

We have an area in our urban yard of 10'x14' that we are looking to pave with brick and stone. Brick in some areas, stone pavers in others.

Here's the rub: we can't excavate any dirt as we have no vehicle access to the yard and nowhere to put any dirt we actually dig up.

How can we 'build up' a perimeter around the area to then fill with our paper, screening and eventually brick and pavers?

I'd like to not have to pour a concrete 'curb' to contain the material.

Our calculations tell us with 4" of screening + height of brick @2.5" we're looking at needing a perimeter that needs to be 6-7" from ground level.

I was thinking pressure treated 4x4s with holes drilled which I will then sink rebar through, into the ground to hold it in place.

Any other ideas we could use that don't require concrete? Is my idea even worth trying?

Thanks in advance.

phrequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrequency View Post
Originally posted in Contruction until I noticed this forum.

I'll try to explain as best I can:

We have an area in our urban yard of 10'x14' that we are looking to pave with brick and stone. Brick in some areas, stone pavers in others.

Here's the rub: we can't excavate any dirt as we have no vehicle access to the yard and nowhere to put any dirt we actually dig up.

How can we 'build up' a perimeter around the area to then fill with our paper, screening and eventually brick and pavers?

I'd like to not have to pour a concrete 'curb' to contain the material.

Our calculations tell us with 4" of screening + height of brick @2.5" we're looking at needing a perimeter that needs to be 6-7" from ground level.

I was thinking pressure treated 4x4s with holes drilled which I will then sink rebar through, into the ground to hold it in place.

Any other ideas we could use that don't require concrete? Is my idea even worth trying?

Thanks in advance.
Ayuh,... Just to be clear, you want a raised patio 10'x14',..??
This isn't goin' to interfere with any drainage is it,..??

If you'd rather it be At-grade,...
Simply dig it out, throw the spoils in a bucket or wheelbarrow to get it outa the yard...

Btw,.... You'd use 6x6s, not 4x4s to build a 6" retainin' structure....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input Bondo. Yes, a raised patio approx 10' x 14'.

I was thinking 4x4s stacked to make an 8" high edge prolly sunk about 1inch with rebar to reinforce it/keep it in place.

Being at-grade isn't an option. We had an 8' x 8' brick patio that we put in ourselves and dug the area out down to 6 inches and it was a whole heap of dirt which is now spread back around as that patio is long gone.

Am I also correct in that I'll need 4" of screening? Can I get away with 2"? There is no vehicle access so everything goes in and out through the house.

Thanks again for the input.
phrequency is offline   Reply With Quote