Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

brick pavers

In 2006 I had a company called Sunset Paving come out to my home and pave my front entrance walk and my rear patio, about 8 months later I had to call them back to re-seal the patio because grass was coming through, for the last year i have left numerous messages with there company concerning the opening in the cracks that were once filed with sand. They have ignored my messages completely and they have never answered there phone always a recording. What material will I need and what kind of sand do I use and how do I replace the sand that is missing.

msflo4sho

msflo4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

brick pavers

Quote:
What material will I need and what kind of sand do I use and how do I replace the sand that is missing.
Ayuh,... The Paving company isn't responding 'cause this is a lack of Maintenance issue, not a 5 year old installation warranty issue...

You need some clean sand, a broom, 'n probably a shovel...

Any clean sand, free of stones should work,...
Mason's sand, bagged playbox sand,... Local beach sand, if there's no stones in it....

Dump the sand on the patio, push it around with the broom, filling the seams,...
Then pick up any extra with yer shovel...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

brick pavers

Thanks Bondo, for your quck response, but I do wonder will the sand wash away again from watering my grass or hosing down the walkway, is there anything I can apply over the sand to have it remain between the bricks, also there was a maintenance performed 2years after installation, I beleive the company is just not responding to customers that were from the original owners, you see there under new management and they probably don't want to deal with us.
msflo4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

brick pavers

Quote:
but I do wonder will the sand wash away again from watering my grass or hosing down the walkway, is there anything I can apply over the sand to have it remain between the bricks,
Nope,... Nothing I know of will hold the sand,...
It's the same forces that turns Mountains into hills, 'n valleys...

Try to be gentiler when washin' it with the hose,...
'n that's why it's called Maintenance,... Ya gotta keep after it.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

brick pavers

Under "new management" may be a clue.

Were the pavers properly installed with a compacted base, edge restraints, jight joints and also vibrated after surface sand was spread? This provides a massive difference in prevention joints from opening and allowing wind borne weed seeds from germinating.

If you have clay brick pavers, opening joints can be much more common. If it was interlocking concrete pavers ("brick size") and installed properly, the occurrence is much rarer.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

brick pavers

There is a product known commercially as polyacrylic sand (sold under the name PolySand) that is rumored to stay in place better than regular sand. I have not personally used it. We built a brick walkway on sand 20 years ago, placed about 15 inches of mason's sand, vibrated in place, and there have been no weeds in 20 years. If the joints are tight, the sand does not move much.

If your joints are not tight, and the brick was not properly vibrated into place, one option would be to remove the brick and properly prepare the base and reinstall the brick. Else you can try the PolySand.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

brick pavers

use a fine sand mixed with a polymer. aka polymeric sand. sweep this into the joints in every direction over the ENTIRE patio for consistency. then take a electric blower and remove the rest of the sand that didn't fit into the joints. lastly, take a pump sprayer filled with water and mist all of the sand and pavers. if you do not clean up with the broom and blower, you will end up with a ugly haze on the pavers.
lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

brick pavers

The polymeric sand is your best bet. You will probably want to powerwash the patio first. The polymeric sand should be at least a quarter to half inch deep
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

brick pavers

I have never seen a temporary product like "polymer" sand used on an engineered major project since performance and durability is very important. - This includes streets and industrial applications of 20 to 40 acres that have to carry 15,000# wheel loads.

The jointing sand is just a cosmetic thing for a "warm" feeling or satisfaction since it comes in handy small bags. If you chose to use it, just apply enough to be vibrated into the joints, which should be much if the pavers are set correctly - Sweep away the excess.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

brick pavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I have never seen a temporary product like "polymer" sand used on an engineered major project since performance and durability is very important. - This includes streets and industrial applications of 20 to 40 acres that have to carry 15,000# wheel loads.

The jointing sand is just a cosmetic thing for a "warm" feeling or satisfaction since it comes in handy small bags. If you chose to use it, just apply enough to be vibrated into the joints, which should be much if the pavers are set correctly - Sweep away the excess.

Dick
you are absolutely right about the vibrating plate compactor. Forgot that part. The original poster did say that this paver area is a walkway and rear patio--not a street, industrial application etc. any sort of sand would work as long as it is able to fit into the joints and sett.e but with the added polymer the sand hardens and generally lasts much longer under typical use, washing and weather. wouldn't all sand technically be considered temporary? what would be considered permanent?

and original poster, this is a maintenance issue that you will have to take care of throughout your ownership of the property especially if the pavers have beveled edges. sorry.
lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

brick pavers

Polymeric sand is also used in commercial applications. It is not permanent, but it lasts longer than plain sand by resisting washouts. In residential applications there are few reasons not to use it.

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote