DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Breaking down clay soil (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/breaking-down-clay-soil-172948/)

mj12 02-25-2013 12:01 PM

Breaking down clay soil
 
I now have tons and tons of sand from all those sand bags everyone puts in their truck in the winter. So I am thinking of spreading it in my yard to help break down the clay. Is this of any value, how should I do it. I have a spreader. Please help, thanks

joecaption 02-25-2013 12:08 PM

100% sure there's no salt mixed in it?
http://www.scotts.com/smg/gosite/SCO...arch=clay+soil

Bondo 02-25-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1124559)
100% sure there's no salt mixed in it?
http://www.scotts.com/smg/gosite/SCO...arch=clay+soil

Ayuh,.... Would it Matter,..??

The weeds 'round here seem to Thrive in the roadside ditches, 'n they carpet the roads with Salt, All winter...

Addin' sand to yer clay soil will no doubt Help it, to what degree depends on how much sand is added...

firehawkmph 02-25-2013 08:37 PM

Mj,
if you are going to do that, good way to get the sand into the soil is to rent a core aerator. It is the kind that pulls plugs of dirt out of your lawn. It looks like a bunch of goose terds all over when you are done. Once you pull the plugs, which createsa bunch of holes about the size of your little finger, take your spreader and the sand and go to it. The sand will fill the holes and help break up the clay.
Mike Hawkins:)

Canarywood1 02-26-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj12 (Post 1124550)
I now have tons and tons of sand from all those sand bags everyone puts in their truck in the winter. So I am thinking of spreading it in my yard to help break down the clay. Is this of any value, how should I do it. I have a spreader. Please help, thanks



Hope that sand is of the coarse variety, number 2 torpedo is what you need anything else is an effort in futility,and a waste of time.

mj12 02-26-2013 02:23 PM

I search all over the internet for this info. This is the best info I could find so far. Thanks alot, can I have the number 2 torpeodo sand delivered?

Canarywood1 02-26-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj12 (Post 1125429)
I search all over the internet for this info. This is the best info I could find so far. Thanks alot, can I have the number 2 torpeodo sand delivered?



Sure,you just have to find a supplier in your area,redi-mix concrete producers use this for concrete,so they are sure to have it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved