Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
It's always something

Share |

Brands of oil in John Deere

Does it really matter what brand of oil you use in a John Deere? I assume as long as it's the correct weight and amount, it's all the same? I have a JD LA110 and it uses 2qts of 10W40. The place in which I bought the riding mower sells John Deere oil ( 10W 40 ) but it's rather expensive at 6 bucks a quart. An auto store has their store brand oil for 4 bucks a quart and if it doesn't matter, I'll be buying the cheaper oil.

Any thoughts before I put this in the mower?

SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #2

Doesn't matter, use the auto supply brand as long as it has an API rating of SL.

SingleGuy (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
It's always something

Thanks. I'm usually not so worrisome about stuff like this but I'm trying to think in terms of keeping my mower in better shape longer
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

I hear you there. The Super UDT on my Kubota is 6.50 per quart. The problem is it takes almost 3 gallons . I had to bite the bullet on that one.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleGuy View Post
Does it really matter what brand of oil you use in a John Deere? I assume as long as it's the correct weight and amount, it's all the same? I have a JD LA110 and it uses 2qts of 10W40. The place in which I bought the riding mower sells John Deere oil ( 10W 40 ) but it's rather expensive at 6 bucks a quart. An auto store has their store brand oil for 4 bucks a quart and if it doesn't matter, I'll be buying the cheaper oil.

Any thoughts before I put this in the mower?
No, the brand of oil you use in your John Deere mower does NOT matter. For one thing, the mower does not have a John Deere engine. Second, John Deere is actually just re-branding some other brand of oil.

My sons & I used to do a lawn-care service, and had all John Deere mowers. Personally, I preferred straight 30W oil, or if 20W50 was on sale I'd use that. I also added some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer every time I changed oil.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
SingleGuy (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
It's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
No, the brand of oil you use in your John Deere mower does NOT matter. For one thing, the mower does not have a John Deere engine. Second, John Deere is actually just re-branding some other brand of oil.

My sons & I used to do a lawn-care service, and had all John Deere mowers. Personally, I preferred straight 30W oil, or if 20W50 was on sale I'd use that. I also added some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer every time I changed oil.
Good point about the engine. Mine has a Briggs & Stratton and I didn't even think of that I find it ridiculous that the 'john deere' oil is 6 bucks/qt when it's nearly half that elsewhere.

Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleGuy View Post
Good point about the engine. Mine has a Briggs & Stratton and I didn't even think of that I find it ridiculous that the 'john deere' oil is 6 bucks/qt when it's nearly half that elsewhere.

Thanks again!
Yep.

The oil re-branding thing is a little like Harley Davidson oil. Each spring I change out the oil in my cruiser with Royal Purple Synthetic Oil. 3 quarts @ $9 per quart. Total cost, with filter, is about $35.

Then I've got these buddies of mine who won't use anything but Harley Oil in their cruisers. Costs them almost $100 for their oil & filter. "But the Harley oil is so much better!" Yeah...

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote