Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Bradford Pear Root Problem

We planted a ~8' Bradford Pear tree in the front yard of our new house about eight years ago. For the past couple years, we have had a large number of "root shoots" (don't know what else to call 'em...) popping up all around the tree out to a distance of about 10'. Last year, we went ballistic with a shovel and an axe and whacked away all the roots within a couple feet of the surface. Some of them were quite thick and caused me to use all thirteen sailor words.

The tree is now 20-odd feet tall, healthy as hell, and growing like I wish my grass would.

Question: How does one keep the root-shoots from popping up all around the tree? My wife is very annoyed, and when Momma ain't happy...

Thanks...

PS: I was thinking of a crane, a good chain, and a large hole in the ground into which I could plant something else. But that seems a bit extreme...

slickwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

[quote=slickwilliam;938606]We planted a ~8' Bradford Pear tree in the front yard of our new house about eight years ago. For the past couple years, we have had a large number of "root shoots" (don't know what else to call 'em...) popping up all around the tree out to a distance of about 10'. Last year, we went ballistic with a shovel and an axe and whacked away all the roots within a couple feet of the surface. Some of them were quite thick and caused me to use all thirteen sailor words.

The tree is now 20-odd feet tall, healthy as hell, and growing like I wish my grass would.

Question: How does one keep the root-shoots from popping up all around the tree? My wife is very annoyed, and when Momma ain't happy...

Thanks...

PS: I was thinking of a crane, a good chain, and a large hole in the ground into which I could plant something else. But that seems a bit extreme...[/quote]

might be the only option

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

if you attacked it as described and you didn't shock it as in dying..draw a 10' diameter circle around the tree 5' out from the truck center around.get a sawzall recip saw with a long blade and cut downward anything outside the circle around.ring the tree with cobble stones and dump a mulch layer 2"-3" deep to define it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Craftster

Between the root shoots and the sprouts that come up from its seeds, you'll probably always be fighting a losing battle, and the bigger the tree gets, the less grass you'll have in your yard. And it has a weak branching system and strong winds will knock branches off, hopefully not on your house or car. You'd be better off getting it out of your yard before it gets any bigger and more expensive to do so.
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyvision View Post
Between the root shoots and the sprouts that come up from its seeds, you'll probably always be fighting a losing battle, and the bigger the tree gets, the less grass you'll have in your yard. And it has a weak branching system and strong winds will knock branches off, hopefully not on your house or car. You'd be better off getting it out of your yard before it gets any bigger and more expensive to do so.

Having been in the tree industry for many years,I truly hate to remove any tree without very good reason. In this case I agree with the above. Bradford pears are probably one of the most widely over planted species out there and the bigger they get the more chance of them splitting and falling, unless they are properly pruned and cabled.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote