Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Boxwood is dying... cause?

One of my boxwoods has turned a mostly orangish color. There is another boxwood about 10 ft down the hedge that is showing the early signs of doing the same thing. It is dark out right now, but I took a picture of on of the clippings. Hopefully someone can recognize what the symptoms are or what might have caused this.

It is possible that the plants got slightly 'misted' when using some weed-b-gon max (the can that is attached to a hose) but would have been minimal. Boxwoods on either side have not been effected but would have probably also been subjected to the slight mist.

I have also read about a fungus that seems to be common in boxwoods but I havnt really seen any black spots that would indicate fungus. The only other thing is possibly the root rot. We had flooding from about 2 days of straight rain totalling 9.8". Neither my yard or landscaping were holding water so I'm a bit skeptical of this being the problem. I'm just a bit clueless right now. I'll try to get a wide shot of the boxwood with the adjacent boxwoods in view.

Also is this going to be save-able or do I need to dig it out and plant a new one? Thanks.

eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

http://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-614/450-614.html

good luck

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

A couple of questions on the rainy spell. When you say the yard did not hold water, do you mean there was no water standing or how did you come to that conclusion? I have a specific reason for asking. Also, when did this problem occur relative to the rain?

I am leaning toward the accidental overspray of the herbicide. I haven't seen it with the green edges and brown centers but that could be due to several factors.