Bolens Mower Starts, Then Dies - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 512

Bolens mower starts, then dies

The engine is a B&S 4-stroke with no throttle. I bought it last year late in the summer and it has been used for only a few hours. If I prime the engine, then pull, the engine will run for a moment and die. I can repeat this cycle every time. If I have someone push the priming bulb right after it starts, it will run a moment longer before dying. That seems to tell me it's not getting fuel. I attribute this to me leaving old gas without stabilizer in it over the winter. I am going to try cleaning the carb with carb cleaner and checking the spark plug, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Advertisement

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fouled/clogged fuel filter and/or line I would guess.
Check air filter as well.

DM

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #3

I cleaned the foam air filter, as it was covered with sludge in the openings. I did find out that you're actually supposed to have a little (clean) oil in these to help catch the dirt, so I'll be putting a little 30 weight back in.

This is a push mower; if there's a fuel filter, I don't know where it is. Neither the Bolens nor the B&S manuals that came with the mower mention it.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #4

A little Gumout sprayed into the carb did the trick.