Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

Share |

bluestone, blue stone etching or sand blasting. resurface question

Hi all. I got a question about bluestone. i recently purchased a bunch of bluestone an installed a rather nice sidewalk an multiple steps. The steps had to be cut different depth sizes. some where 10.5" deep, an others where 11.25" deep etc...

By buying large pieces of bluestone, an cutting the steps myself, i saved well over 50%. I doubled my square footage for the price. An my steps where all not the same depth, so i would of had to cut a Precut tread/step anyways.
Example- it was $54 for a precut tread/step that was 1.5" thick an 12"deep x 48 wide". it was $54 for a standard 1.5" thick that was .....24" deep x 48" wide. 2 for 1. 8 stairs

The tops of the bluestone are etched or have a sandblasted " rough look " , basically a random pitting look. this pitting gives it traction an also removes or de-glazes any cut marks from when it was processed. These cuts are smooth an polished from the diamond blade cutting through.

I want to pit, or de glaze these cut marks so they match the top layer.

now i tried muriatic acid on a scrap piece. i did not dilute the solution. i let it sit for 30 mins, rinsed an dried. it looks almost the same an appears to have not pitted the surface.

SO, at the quarrys , do they sand blast the surface with reclaimed blue stone pieces, or some other material? or do they use an acid like one would use for etching??

Was also thinking of power washing maybe??

I've searched the internet for about 3-4 hrs now an have found nothing at this point that states any of this surfacing method. Anyone have any ideas???

Im handy an ready by any an all means to do what is necessary. I hate looking at the smooth cut surfaces.

Thank you in advance...
marcg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

Some stones can be flame finished.
http://jetstik.com/Instructions.html
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might want to edit your profile so we have a rough idea of where you are?

It rained here in Chicago today. We know what commeth and franlky hate people getting too creative with sidewalk materials. Orthopedic medical people will soon be advertising faster than their spouses, personal injury attorneys.

Always makes me nervous when people lay sidewalks in slate, bluestone, or whatever. Pretty of course but you cannot walk on it when it slimes or ices over. I've always wanted to prove I am a true American. I want to suit somebody for millions of dollars. What is your exact address and how hot do you make coffee?

Last edited by user1007; 12-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #4

joe that jetstik is a pretty intense, but its $1800. i know i said by any and all means, but $1800. Sh*t, i've got 8 tons of brown veneer flagstone an 100 sqft of blue stone an i prbally spent no more the 1500 total. I do love the birdbath or waterfall cutouts.

sdsester, i did a decent job grading an preventing run off to the sidewalk. In New england, ct, theres nothing thats noting that gonna prevent icing or the snow thats gonna fall. Maybe other then a heated sidewalk or raised wire grating.

Thinking i may try getting a small sand blasting setup from harbor freight an try it out on some scrap stone.

man that jet stik has got soem ideas flowing...
marcg007 is offline   Reply With Quote