Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #1

Share |

Blocking the neighbors

So, this is down the back fence of my new fixer upper that has been abandoned for 10 years. The neighboring house's owner (several owners ago) built an addition right up to the property line. They don't have one inch past their wall.

I would really like to do something to block that little window. Since it can see the my entire backyard and the neighbors are "questionable" at best. I'm already having a problem with them insisting on parking their leaking car at the curb in front of my property.

My thoughts were maybe a trellis with some fast growing ivy planted on it. Or putting in a run of 8' or 10' privacy fence.

what do you guys think?

Catdaddyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
JOATMON

Blocking the neighbors

First thing I would do is make a trip to the local building office.

Fence rules change from city to city....so do how close you can build to the property line. In most states, 3-5' is a magic # for occupied space unless you get a variance.

If that wall is right up to the property line...then chances are the eaves are over on your property.

If either is true....get it resolved now....otherwise, they could end up owning part of your property by the shear fact that you didn't do anything about it.

Next...there are typically limits on how tall a fixed fence can be....with 6' being the norm (once again, varies by area). But, typically, vegetation is allowed to go as high as you want.

If it was me....I would look into what the limits are on a shed. In most cases you can do a 10x12 with no permit....put that up as close as allowed....you get some storage space for outdoor tools and toys and you block that window.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-23-2013), operagost (05-29-2013), RWolff (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3

Blocking the neighbors

Put a fence up or a nice shed and block that whole area
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Blocking the neighbors

The addition to their home was done in the early 70's. The owner at that time and the owner of my place at that time were best friends. So, the owner of mine just looked the other way when it was built. It is actually six inches past the property line. Though now, the city says it's too late to do anything about it now and set the new property line right at the additions wall.
I'll check with the city about a fence. I may put in a storage building at some point. But that would have to wait due to money. We're doing all we can afford to do on the interior right now.
It's a small rural town. So, rules are few and those are usually ignored when desired.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #5

Blocking the neighbors

I am a big fan of fences. It was the first thing I did when I bought this house. Yes, check with building department to see if a permit is needed or you could end up paying double and having to move it.

Also, maybe not in your town if rules are lax, but permits are often needed for sheds to make sure they don't encroach on property lines, or utility easement and to make sure they're anchored securely on a slab or tie-down.

Check with the city or police dept. about them parking in front of your house.

Last edited by Startingover; 05-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Startingover For This Useful Post:
hotkarl (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #6

Blocking the neighbors

I can give you some ideas for your problem, without costing you a
fortune.

First tell me are you handy with
a little wood, a saw and some screws? I can show you what we did
in our backyard.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Blocking the neighbors

Definitely handy. Let me know what you did.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
JOATMON

Blocking the neighbors

Why not build something like this? Might solve the car parking problem as well...

My
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (05-23-2013), RWolff (05-23-2013), Startingover (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Blocking the neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Why not build something like this? Might solve the car parking problem as well...

Now that is a thought. My mother is an administrator at the max prison outside of town. Maybe I can just get one on loan.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #10

Blocking the neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddyxx View Post
Definitely handy. Let me know what you did.
Are you planning to do something off the end of the covered patio
or at the end of the house?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Blocking the neighbors

I like the shed idea, in fact it's one I used to block a very annoying very bright security light in back of a business across the hay field away, the light lights of the back portion of their facility and it shines directly towards my bedroom window, even though it's about 500 or more feet away it's like someone shining a flashlight at you, so I dragged one of those little gambrel barn style wood sheds that the former owners had here- over to just the right spot in my backyard to block out the light.
A little 8x10 or whatever likely needs no permit or concrete floor, and a shed ratehr than Ivy will permanently block the view whereas ivy or plants can get knocked down by winds, bugs, etc and not be consistantly "blocking"

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

Blocking the neighbors

Mountain laurel! hedge row it is fast growing I have a 50 foot tall hedge row between my place and my neighbors. pure privacy and it looks great. Just got to trim it up from time to time. Plus no city or county rules or regs on how tall a hedge can be. ever growing fence is what I call it. plus the people that put it in put a chain link fence in the row and now nothing gets across that thing.
Just a thought. I do like the guard tower though.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #13

Blocking the neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Are you planning to do something off the end of the covered patio
or at the end of the house?
At the corner by the back fence and at the property line. That little red shed is mine and I guess I could move it to the corner to block the window. But, it's wired and I really don't want to run wire out to the corner of the property. On the other hand whoever the numbskull was that wired the shed used indoor romex and now the sheathing is rotting off. So, it's something that is going to be replaced anyway.
May happen though. I really don't like where that shed was plopped anyway.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #14

Blocking the neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddyxx View Post
At the corner by the back fence and at the property line. That little red shed is mine and I guess I could move it to the corner to block the window. But, it's wired and I really don't want to run wire out to the corner of the property. On the other hand whoever the numbskull was that wired the shed used indoor romex and now the sheathing is rotting off. So, it's something that is going to be replaced anyway.
May happen though. I really don't like where that shed was plopped anyway.
Oh, So, is the white house the neighbor and the red addition next to
your house the shed?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #15

Blocking the neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Oh, So, is the white house the neighbor and the red addition next to
your house the shed?
Yes, the white house on the right of the picture is mine. The red thing in the picture is my little 10x20 detached shed. The white house with the little window is the neighbor's. It is a solid wall form the alley to the driveway, right along the property line.