Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

birds hovering around newly seeded lawn

so I put fertilize down, tilled, rolled, spread seed and then a bit of straw. I've noticed there were a flock of birds hovering around the yard so I put down more straw and put down some more seed, but I'm wondering if I need to be worried. There are some spots I can't see the seed anymore but it's already been one good watering cycle so I'm trying to tell myself it's just that the seeds have been covered with the wet soil.

So, for those who have been through this experience, is it normal to have birds come around the first day? is that just the hint to put more straw down? will the seeds be hidden by the straw and dirt quickly? and I'm assuming they'll germinate ok like that in the 2 weeks it takes? (it's tall fescue)

Thanks
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

birds gotta eat too
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

I would not worry about the birds. They won't eat enough to make a noticeable difference. I'm of course assuming that you used enough seed (5-8# per 1000 sq ft). I would not put down any more straw as you will get weeds from the straw.
Srb1194
srb1194 is offline   Reply With Quote