Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |

Birds...

This is probably not the right forum, but I don't feel like signing up to another website, so I'll ask here and see if anyone has run into the same thing.

I have a concrete tile roof from when the house was originally built in 1957. the tiles that cover the ridges are perfect homes for birds as well as the 50+ year old maple in the backyard.

My dilemma is that lately I have found 5 dead baby birds in different parts of the yard. These birds are nowhere near developed enough to fly, or even attempt to. One of them had not even grown feathers yet. The strange thing is that I am finding these baby birds very far from their nesting spots; like 15' away from the edge of the roof on the driveway and sidewalk.

What's even more strange is that no other scavenger animals are coming by to eat them.

Anyone have any ideas of what might be happening? The obvious reason would be that they are being attacked by something that is throwing it from the nest, or dropping it as it flies or runs away. I believe the birds in question are house sparrows. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago.

Thanks!

Graham

gjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Birds...

I have a very similar situation. Concrete tile roof that birds love to nest in. About two months ago I found three babies dead from a 2 story fall but maybe 10 feet out from the nest. I just assumed the nest gave way and they fell. I didn't think about a predator trying to possibly get them.

Is your dilemma that they are falling and you want to provide for their safety? Or are you worried about them being diseased? Our plan is once they are old enough and leave to close up the spaces they're getting into and put up some bird houses that are proper and safe.

I hope I'm not coming across too insensitive but my feeling about my situation is that mother nature is going to do what it wants to do and I've just got to be along for the ride.

tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Birds...

Well I don't know that I can do much for their safety, as they are already dead. The bird I found today was about 20' from where they nest, and there is really no way to get as far away as it is from the nest without something moving it.

Last year this was not a problem, but this year I have found 5 so far which is somewhat disturbing. I could understand if it was matured enough to fly, but these guys barely have feathers. I would think that something is after them, but then again, why is nothing eating it while on the ground??

When I lived in GA there was a county extension service that would check out things like this. I will have to see if they have anything like that without getting charged here in the corruption headquarters.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4

Birds...

I just did a quick search and this post describes exactly what I am seeing. Oh well. Nature running its course. Lots of birds around here, time to put up some bird houses maybe.

http://www.justanswer.com/pet-bird/2...-6-8-feet.html