Bird Feeder/house Stand - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

bird feeder/house stand

I need to create something to hold my bird feeder and houses. I don't have any trees in my yard to hang them from. I purchased this http://www.lowes.com/pd_315942-89740...tand$y=11$x=28 from lowes but it did stand high for me and the hangers were too close to the pole it self. It just seemed too congested with just a bird feeder hanging from it.

So, I've been thinking of building something out of wood, probably a 4x4x8 post and build some arms on it with 2x4's and then some metal hooks to hold the feeders. And when all is said and done stain or paint it. Has anyone built or seen anything like this who could give me input?

Advertisement

typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,362

bird feeder/house stand

I found a heavy cast iron Christmas tree stand at a yard sale. I'm going to buy a 4"x4"x8' post to put in the stand and put some metal hooks on it for bird feeders to hang from.

I'm buying the post at a local hardware store though, because I can ask for kiln dried posts there.

I'm going to keep this setup on my deck.

A couple years ago, I had some extra 4x4 posts left over from when the deck was built. I dug 3 40" deep holes in my yard, poured cement in the bottom of them and set the posts down into the holes. I made sure they were straight and plum and left them for a while until the cement dried, then backfilled with the dirt. Now I can hang up to 12 bird feeders from them. It turned out nice, because there is about 2-3' between the posts and they are at 3 different heights.

When I go buy the 4x4 post for my Christmas tree stand, I'm going to buy some pvc pipe that will fit around it. Squirrels can't climb up pvc. At least that's what I hear.

Hope this helps!

Barb

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

bird feeder/house stand

Setting the 8' post in the Christmas tree-stand ended up not being a good idea. Even sitting on a flat deck board, I'm afraid it might have tipped over in a heavy wind. It might have worked with a 4' post.

Barb
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

bird feeder/house stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Setting the 8' post in the Christmas tree-stand ended up not being a good idea. Even sitting on a flat deck board, I'm afraid it might have tipped over in a heavy wind. It might have worked with a 4' post.

Barb
It depends on the area presented to the wind
"To convert wind speed to force per square foot:
Force (lbs/square foot) = wind speed (miles/hour)^2 x .0027"
And, the weight of the post helps prevent tipping.

Since wind speed is variable I'd use a more positive method to fasten it.

http://www.birdscomfort.com/Image/ta...bird_stand.jpg

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-29-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (04-29-2010)
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

bird feeder/house stand

you can use old Floor lamp, to mount a birdfeeder, they are heavy, if needed you can add some more weight on the base.

something like this,
prakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

bird feeder/house stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakis View Post
you can use old Floor lamp, to mount a birdfeeder, they are heavy, if needed you can add some more weight on the base.
You must have light bird feeders. I have a feeder on a metal shepherds hook and it bends the thing quite a bit.
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #7

bird feeder/house stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
You must have light bird feeders. I have a feeder on a metal shepherds hook and it bends the thing quite a bit.
Same here. Not to mention when the wind is blowing or when a squirrel is hanging on it. It's a nice idea though prakis.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Pretending to be Retired

Rewards Points: 75

bird feeder/house stand

I used a old locus fence post I found. It holds 4 feeders and a bird house. We tried a coconut with a 2 inch hole drilled in it this year. Woodpeckers loved it! Also have feeders on the deck railing. Don't have problems with squirrels, but..
Attached Thumbnails
bird feeder/house stand-img_2501-500-x-375.jpg   bird feeder/house stand-img_2101-500-x-375.jpg   bird feeder/house stand-img_2687-500-x-375.jpg   bird feeder/house stand-img_2739-450-x-337.jpg  

Advertisement

BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote