Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

Best push reel mower?

I have a really small patch of grass to mow, so I'm looking to get a push reel mower. I've had bad experiences in the past, so I'm wondering if you have any recommendations?
DIY_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Best push reel mower?

oh yes, i remember those back in the day. they were heavy and seemd ro work fine when they wanted to. it seems like they have improved them over the years and made them more user friendly. i think i would stick to a simple desing without all of the extra gadgets. a freind of mine has a newer one and it seems to glide across the lawn with little effort.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

Best push reel mower?

Reel mowers dont cut fescue or anything that grows tall. They are meant for low growing grass's.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Craftster

Best push reel mower?

I bought an American Lawn Mower Co. push reel mower just about a year ago, love it, very sturdy, built here in the US and works well on our lawn. They also make one geared towards Bermuda and other low growing grasses, mine is just the standard 16" mower, I'd never consider any other mower if it weren't for the massive Fall leaves that have to be raked up so we may have to get a bagger/mulcher mower before this Fall. lol
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Best push reel mower?

I had a combination sharpening shop, lawnmower repair and tax service company near me in Central Illinois. I never used the place for taxes but the guy always had nice reel mowers he fixed up for like $10.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Craftster

Best push reel mower?

LOL sdsester, I worked for a tax firm for 15 years and we never sharpened a single mower blade - too bad, I have no clue how to do it now that that kind of knowledge would come in handy.
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #7

Best push reel mower?

I just bought a fiskars....The one at the bottom of the page. Love it! Easy to push, great adjustability, and it leaves my lawn looking great. My family thinks I am nuts; but I actually enjoy cutting the grass!
T_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #8

Best push reel mower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Reel mowers dont cut fescue or anything that grows tall. They are meant for low growing grass's.

My mower cuts up to 4 inches tall. The key is to do repeated small (i.e. take a little off the top) cuttings when you first get it. ---then you can keep things short.
T_MB is offline   Reply With Quote