Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

best ground cover at base of fence?

Hey all,

I'm putting up a split-rail fence with the wire to keeps dogs in/out. This will cut across a boundary between my property and my neighbor's, which is presently one giant flowing combined little field of bermuda grass.

I want to make mowing easy for both myself and my neighbor, although anything I do will be 100% on my property. Ideally, I don't want to have to go over onto "his" side and mow a strip - I'd have the fence near the property line.

But if I put a 1-2 foot lane of pinestraw or something else under the fence - then there are two long seams that would need to be edged.

So ideally, on his side at least - I'd prefer if he could just simply ride his riding mower down the edge as usual -that's all. But I can't think of an edge type (for his side) that would be maintenance-free (no edging required). Any ideas?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #2

You could put down a strip of quarry dust around the posts on either side. Keeps stuff from growing around the poles but mowers will go right over it without major risk of kicking a rock.

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Similar issue here.

I'm >< that close to putting down a 2" bed of 67 gravel.
That and a twice annual dose of RoundUp should do it.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote